Chapter Two

I woke up and looked over to see that Blaire was still sound asleep. That was a surprise because she was almost always awake before everyone else. I quietly crawled out of bed and crept downstairs into the cellar. Hallie was still sleeping, but a few moments later she woke up to me standing near her bed.

"I thought you were Blaire, but then again, Blaire wouldn't stand by me like that." Said Hallie startled. "Where is Blaire anyway? Asked Hallie.

"She is still sleeping." "She should be down soon." I said.

Hallie started to dress and get ready for the long doomsday. I helped Hallie cook breakfast and shortly after Blaire knocked and came in. We all sat down and had the delicious breakfast Hallie and I had made. Blaire even said so herself that she was surprised she didn't wake up earlier.

My parents called Blaire and me to the kitchen. "Ember, Blaire can you please cook us breakfast?" "I know you already made yourselves and Hallie breakfast, but we have some cleaning to do." Said Mom.

"Sure." Replied Blaire and me.

We made them breakfast and they thanked us gratefully. I then headed down to Hallie while Blaire cleared the table. I had asked Hallie what she had wanted for dinner since this could be one of her last home-cooked meals. Hallie said she wanted 'Pasta and fried vegetables' for dinner I told Blaire.

"Hey Auntie Vivianne, we are going to head out to the market soon." Said Blaire.

"Ok have fun girls." Said my mom as she left. Blaire and I headed to the market. We had got the pasta and were about to get the vegetables when Mayor Alaric stopped us.

"Have you girls seen Hallie?" "She was supposed to board the train this morning." Said Mayor Alaric, clearly concerned.

"No, sorry we haven't seen her since last night." "We figure she ran away, but don't know to where." I said.

"Oh, okay." Said Mayor Alaric narrowing his eyes. We continued to get the vegetables. After we had gotten the vegetables we ran back home. I rushed downstairs and told Hallie what had happened.  Blaire and I figured that the government would probably come to search our house any minute now.

I told mom and dad this and they told us to lock the cellar, tell Hallie to be very quiet, make sure none of her stuff was out in the open. Most importantly to act normal, which is what we did.

I started making dinner. Blaire was doing some research about what the government was doing. We heard shouting from outside our house. Mayor Alaric was yelling "Open the door now!"

We opened the door to an angry group of Mayor Alaric's minions. The minions burst through our door and started to search the house. They looked under beds, in dressers, in cupboards, in all the rooms and every single space a human could fit. The one place they didn't look was the cellar since it was hidden downstairs.

I was so happy they didn't look in the cellar. I then remembered I had to go to Hallie everything was good. I went down to the cellar. Blaire said she would finish making dinner to give us some alone time.

I told Hallie exactly what happened and before long Blaire brought dinner down. We all talked about places we could hide Hallie. There was the old abandoned house in the South West quadrant, but we figured that would be too highly populated. Our other option was the elementary school's basement. We knew that no one ever went down there since the incident in 2092.

February 23rd, 2092 a 9-year-old girl named Arwen had gone down to retrieve her stuffed animal. She never came back out and the whole North West quadrant heard her vociferous scream. We all thought about what could happen, but it was our only option.

Hallie, Blaire, and I took the idea up to my parents. Vivianne and Rueben had decided that that was their best and only option. We came to the conclusion that Hallie would be escorted discretely to the school basement this Saturday, in two days.

We helped Hallie re-pack her clothes and other valuables. After we packed a few of her bags we looked at the time. It was 7:34 pm. We plugged in the tv and turned on our favourite tv show to watch together.

We started to watch California Fever when my mom walked in and asked what we were doing. She looked at the tv and smirked, she walked out of the cellar leaving us to get lost in the wonders of California Fever.

After 2 hours of watching California Fever, it was now 9:34 pm. I gave Hallie a great big hug and we said goodnight. Blaire and I went upstairs to our bedroom. We brushed our teeth. Did our skincare routine and got in our nightgowns. We heard Hallie yell one last goodnight to us and we yelled "don't let the bed bugs bite" while laughing.

Blaire and I always took turns reading each other a chapter of When the Moon Shines each night. It was our favourite book to read. It had 167 chapters, we were on chapter 48.

I started to read "Akilah draped her towel over the dusty old chair. She tip-toed into the cold murky water." We were becoming a little suspicious. Blaire looked at me with an awkward look.

After I had finished chapter 48 Blaire started to read her chapter, chapter 49. We finished that chapter and went to bed.

Blaire fell asleep very fast, but I couldn't. I was very nervous about what was going to happen to Hallie.

A few moments later I woke up to a loud banging on our door at 5:17 in the morning.