Chapter Twenty-Three

It was a simple plan.

He couldn't mess it up, not easily at least. All he had to do is remember the way to Clay's house. He'd been there several times so that shouldn't be too hard. Once he got there, all he had to do is see if Clay was really gone. He would be able to get his closure.

It was a simple plan, yet, he was stalling even leaving his bedroom.

He stood only a few feet in front of the window, a dark blue cloak laid over his shoulders.

All he had to do was simply open the window and slide out. Yet, he was struggling to bring himself to do it.

"This is so stupid." With one last sigh, he roughly pushed the window open.

Glancing around the room one last time, he then pushed himself out of the open window. Landing on the ground, he made his way towards the opening in the wall, then out into the field.

Pulling up the hood of the cloak, he made his way toward the forest.

He had never made the trip alone, it was weird. He almost expected to look to the side and see Clay laughing at something totally irrelevant. He wished that it was real, the only thing he was greeted with was an eerily silence.

The shape of Clay's home came into his view. Anxiously, George made his way around toward the front door. The house looked the same from when he was last there, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Could he still be here? Was there a chance? Only one way to know for sure.

With one last deep breath, he raised his hand to knock on the door.

There was no immediate response, no one ran to open the door.

Of course, he had gotten his hopes up. Despite saying he wouldn't, saying he would be fine, he still let himself have hope.

"God, I'm so stupid," George muttered under his breath.

"Uh, excuse me?"

George quickly turned around to face the voice, it was a man. He seemed a few inches taller than him, and had from what he could tell brown hair.

"I'm sorry, I was just leaving," George didn't bother to meet the other's eyes.

"Were you looking for Dre-," he paused, "Clay?"

The stranger's words made him stop in his tracks.

"You know Clay?"

George turned so he was facing the man.

"Yeah, we worked together," the man paused, a soft smile finding its way onto his face before adding, "He's one of my best friends."

"I was," George paused, clearing his throat, "I was just checking to see if he had left yet."

"Oh, yeah. He left, like, two days ago," the man said with a shrug.

"Oh, well, I guess I'll be off then."

"Wait," he paused, waiting for George to turn around, "What's your name? I mean, I haven't seen you around with Clay or anything."

"I'm George." He gently held his hand out.

The man shook his hand before speaking again.

"Oh, Dream talked about you all the time," he laughed loudly after speaking.

"Dream?" George's voice held a confused tone.

"Oh, right. That's just his nickname."

"Oh," George's voice is slightly awkward.

"I'm Nick, but you can just call me Sapnap," he smiled softly.

"Nice to meet you," George paused, debating his next words, "I know Clay has, uhm, left, but do you know exactly where he has gone?"

"He actually asked me to not tell anyone. Specifically you," Sapnap's voice held a slightly awkward tone.

"What? Why?"

"I don't know. I guess he probably just knew you'd want to go after him."

"Of course," George rolled his eyes.

"If it will make you feel any better, I can deliver a letter or something?"

"I don't have anything to give him," George was obviously annoyed.

"I know he'd like a letter, only if you want to write one or anything."

"I don't have any paper on me."

"Dream probably left some in his house. He'd have no reason to take it, I assume."

Sapnap bent down to move a rock, revealing a spare key. Then unlocked the door, gesturing for George to go in first, which he did.

Sapnap followed silently, going straight to the now almost empty bookshelf. Pushing some of the remaining things around, he found a stray piece of paper, and handed it to George, along with a pencil he pulled from his own pocket.

"I actually have to get to work, just leave the letter on the table. I'll grab it on my way home."

Sapnap headed to the door, opening but stopping before he exited.

"Oh, also, lock the door before you head out, please." He waved before fully going through the door, shutting it behind him.

George was quickly greeted by the silence, and his thoughts. He could write a letter, he had written dozens of letters. But how was he supposed to write a letter to Clay? What was he supposed to say? How selfish he feels for missing him?

"Get yourself together, George."

Sighing, he sat down at the empty table, laying the paper in front of him.

Grabbing the pencil, he began to write.

Dear Clay,

I honestly don't even know how to write anything I want to say to you. There's so much I want to say but I just can't seem to find the right words.

I suppose I can start with saying I've met your friend, Sapnap. He seems alright, nice even. He's the one who said I should write to you. So you should be thanking him.

I miss you so much. I never thought I could miss someone this much. I thought I'd be fine when you left, that I'd get over it, I haven't. I don't quite know how to, you've become such a big part in my life that I don't even know what to do with myself. I haven't even been able to go to the field properly without getting upset.

I don't want you to feel like any of this is your fault. I don't want you to feel like I'm trying to make you feel bad, I'm not. But Clay, I need you to please try and come back to me, even if it takes years. I will wait for you. However long it may take.

I love you always, George.