Chapter 10: Recovery

Start from the beginning

***

Back at Langley, Domingo Chavez was filing out some after-action reports. Ding was the head honcho of the Studies and Observations Group, named after the infamous unit that roamed the jungles of Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. The unit was much like its predecessor in the 1960s; it was largely unheard of by the public during its heyday. They were technically a branch under the Special Activities Center, but SOG is vastly different than SAC/SOG, despite a similar name. Their operators weren't middle-aged private contractors that train up a bunch of foreign militants that end up stabbing them in the back a decade later. 

They were younger Tier 1 operators that are still technically a part of the US Armed Forces. SOG does things as people see in the movies such as stopping major conflicts before they even happen, killing Highly Valued Targets that pose a major threat to the United States, but will do deeds for other NATO countries to keep good relations up. Being under the CIA had its perks though, they had the ability to work with barely any legal parameters and were given the best equipment money can buy. Ding selected most of the operators that had the drive to do bad things to bad people, and not second guess it. The only really bad thing was that they never got credit for anything officially. If SOG operatives toppled a cartel in Mexico, the Federal Police had done it, at least to the people who read about it in the news the next day.

Ding was the only person to 'go ahead' any mission, to ensure no one can misuse the unit's legal impunity. Sadly the CIA was known for that. Ding was probably the most trustworthy person in the US Government, at least to Archer.

Ding filed the last report and looked up to see a woman in a business suit that exuded an aura of seriousness. It was Michelle Hudson, Deputy Director of the CIA. She was in her late twenties but acted much older. Michelle was clearly beautiful, even with her perpetual frown, but she was vicious as a cornered cobra. She had been a field officer before becoming a desk jockey. She has confirmed her fair share of infamous terrorists when SpecOps dragged them back to base, often riddled with bullets. 

"Mr. Chavez, Director Kingsly just got wind that one of your muts in Britain got wounded in a training accident," Michelle said furiously while tucking her shoulder-length blonde behind her ear.

"You mean Archer? When?" Ding said, oblivious to what had happened. 

Michelle sighed and crossed her arms, "A couple of hours ago." Ding grabbed his office phone and dialed a number. After speaking for a moment he hung up and stood while grabbing his jacket. "Who was that?"

"My pilot. Let's go!" Ding rushed out of his office as Michelle hesitantly followed him down the hallway and passing several analysts.

"To where?" She asked trying to keep up with him.

"Hereford, Grab your go-bag."

***

Hours later, the pair found themselves in the private jet that embarked from Andrews AFB. Michelle was speaking to her supervisor over the phone while looking out the side window. "Where are you, Michelle?" Director Kingsly demanded over the phone.

"In the air, sir." She could hear him sigh on the other end, "Heading to the UK."

"And why wasn't I informed?"

"Chavez brought me along in the spur of the moment," Not wanting to piss off the Director anymore, she thought of a good excuse for leaving unannounced. "Sir, this could be good. I can get an honest statement of the operations on the ground. You know that's where I work the best."

There was a moment of silence before Kingsly spoke again, "Fine, just keep them in the dark about the gas. They're boy scouts, just like the President. He's already up my ass about that Black Site."