Prologue

Sipping a cup of tea early morning with Kaka Sasur Ji and Sasur Ji engrossed in their newspapers has always been the best part of her day. This gave her a sense of peace. An assurance that everything in this world is fine. But today, as if nothing was fine. KSJ has been busy in chanting some mantras with a mala in his hand and SJ was busy biting his nails and his shoes making a tak-tak sound because yeah, he was nervous and hence she was not able to enjoy her tea.

"Sasur Ji! Kabtak nakhun khayenge? Bhook lagi hai to kuch khane ko lati hu na."
She asked this for the umpteenth time and once again was rewarded with that same stern and disappointed glare.

"Acha ek baat batani thi aapko. Itne der se batana chah rhi hu lekin aap dono to sun hi nhi rhe hai. Aur Kaka Sasur Ji ko to pta nhi kya ho gya hai aaj. Itne khoye hue hai apne jaap me."   Nobody was ready to listen only. She has been trying to tell about this phone call since don't know when and every time she either met with silence or a hard glare. And now she was done. SHE WAS DONE. 

"Arre bahurani ji abhi aap shant ho jaiye. Jab tak Barrister Babu nhi aa jate, ghar ka mahaul aisa hi rahega. Aap bhool gyi kya aapke pariksha ka parinaam aane wala hai? Sab usi ki chinta me to hai. Aapko pta hai aaj to Bade Malik subah se hi Durga ma ka jaap kar rhe hai. Ek pal bhi soye nhi hai vo." Bihari Babu or as Choti Malkin liked to call Bhari Bahhu informed. And now all this unwanted weird behavior made sense. Despite of being cranky about the fact that no one was listening to her, she could not resist the small smile that made way on her face. This is family. This is HER family. 

"Bhari Babu usi baare me to...", but before she could complete her sentence, a very loud and a happy "BONDITA! BONDITA!" was heard. She sighed. "Chalo ab pta lag jayega sabko aur fir mai apni chai pee sakti hu araam se", she muttered to herself. 

"Bondita! Kaka! Baba! Kaha hai aap sab? Itni khushi ki baat hai aur ghar me itna sannata? Mujhe to laga tha jab tak lautunga jashn shuru ho chuka hoga par yaha to aisa kuch bhi nhi lag rha." Barrister Babu asked running to the living area and contrary to his jovial question, he met with silence and a sighing Bondita by the side. 

"Aniruddha aise koi chillata hai kya? Aur jashn? Kis baat ka jashn? Arre bhai tum bahu ke pariksha ka parinaam dekhne gaye the na? Kya dekh kar aa gye? Ab batao bhi kya hua? College me dakhila hoga ke nhi? Subah se isi uljhan me hai aur Durga Ma ko bhi rakha hua hai." Trilochan Roy Chaudhary asked in a rush. It was way too much for him to be sane during such a tense environment. He anyway did not like suspense. 

"Ha Aniruddha, Da ekdum sahi keh rhe hai. Ab jaldi batao Bondita ne kaisa kiya apne pariksha me?" Binoy Roy Chaudhary questioned in his very much adapted british accent. He was very nervous. It's been ages since he reacted in such a manner. Drowning into wine to forget about his miseries was his way to deal with situations around. But since when this little girl, or the unwanted little girl made a very big place in his very small heart, all he could think about was his bahu, his beti, his Bondita. And today, the result day has kept him on his toes. 

All of them wanted to hear a good news but in return met with Aniruddha's surprised, confused and questioning look. 

"Aaplog ko abhi tak nhi pta? Bondita tumne bataya kyu nhi? Ye bhi koi chipane wali baat thi?" Aniruddha questioned his very dear student, his wife. He expected her to run all over the haveli or even the whole Tulsipur to share the news. And here all she was doing was standing in corner with a given-up look. What is happening? 

All heads turned towards Bondita and finally she heaved a sigh of relief. FINALLY she has everyone's attention and now she can tell them THE news. 

"Mai to batane ki koshish kar hi rhi thi par aaj Sasur Ji aise ghoor ghoor ke dekh rhe the ki bol hi nhi pai. Aur Kaka Sasur Ji apne jaap me hi itne khoye the ki meri kya kisi ki baat nhi sunte vo." Bondita told with a hesitant smile and a frown on her face and Aniruddha understood what has transpired. He badly wanted to laugh. His family was worried. Actually, very worried. 

"Par ab bata deti hu na. Tooo mai ye batana cha rhi thi ki Barrister Babu ka phone aaya tha aur unhone bola ki mera exam clear ho gya hai aur mai college me padhne ja sakti hu." Bondita informed in a rush with excitement and happiness dripping everywhere. 

And instantly the whole haveli was full of squeals. No one could believe their ears. It was just too happy a moment. It was "their" dream to see Bondita touch the sky and even more. And this day marked as a stepping stone for the same. This happy chaos led to lots of ashirwaad, hugs, congratulations, ek badam wale roshogulle and that unforgettable cup of tea.  

At night when Bondita was busy admiring  beauty of the moon and combing her hair, Barrister Babu made an entry. He just wanted to spend time with his favorite student and talk till the dawn. Because of the constant exams by her side, they spent very little time together, and he missed her dearly. Her questions, her expressive eyes, her gusse me phule hue gaal and most importantly her nose scrunch, that happened whenever she laughed with her whole heart. 

The night went on with their numerous talks, giggles, questions and peace. Aniruddha shared his every college experience possible. He was just preparing her for the new phase in her life unknown to the fact it was gonna change his life too. Finally at dawn they made their way to their respective rooms and slept for a while with a smile. 

This college life is going to turn the tables. They are gonna travel a journey from her Barrister Babu and his favorite student to a bond unbreakable. To a bond of pati and patni. But will they accept the fact or not? 

Hello everyone! I've just given an insight of the family. This was basically for you guys to get accustomed to their platonic relationship and the fact that no one has any issue with the same. But life has its own ways and the same will start from the next chapter. I've tried my best to keep the characters intact and not introduce anything new. Hoping you all enjoyed the prologue. Waiting for your views on the same. Stay tuned. 

Veerangna 🌿