Chapter 19 | Bonfire

Start from the beginning

Laurent mumbles and everyone's eyes turn to him, "Why not join her in death? Then they'd both never have to lose each other."

"That's so fucked up." Corvina laughs. "He had a chance to bring her back, why would he want to stay there when he loved his life so much?"

I see Madam Eira smile and lean back. She loves seeing everyone discuss this. But most of all she loves people listening to her.

"I need to know if that man died," Fal speaks again and I laugh. I can't help but laugh.

"Something funny?"

"I think it's funny that you're so stuck on him not dying."

She rolls her eyes, "I just think it's unfair and he should pay. He can't get away with ruining someone's life like that. He shouldn't."

I understand that her anger stems from prior experience. Deimos being the killer, her being the girl and well the lover part is undetermined.

She feels so strongly about this because she can relate to it. She wants Deimos to pay for the things he did.

And he will. I'm going to make sure of it.

"What would you do?" Fal asks me.

I think about it, "I think Sorin was on the right path. Don't look back. It doesn't matter how many doubts you have. If he truly loved her, he wouldn't risk losing her by behaving so selfishly."

"Why is that selfish? He wanted to make sure."

"He wasn't willing to risk his own happiness, he condemned her to eternal death because he couldn't risk losing her. That's selfish even I know that."

She doesn't respond to that but I can see her think deeply about it.

"I think love is worth it if you're able to risk your own happiness for theirs. The fear of losing that person makes it worth it. If you know they'll always be with you no matter what, that love will fade away."

She glances up at me and I see her golden eyes twinkle underneath the moonlight.

"Do you know something with perhaps a happy ending?" The sister- Corvina suddenly asks.

Madam Eira smiles, "A happy ending is subjective, my lady." Corvina corrects her to call her Cor or just anything else besides my lady. Madam Eira's eyes sweep over Fallon slowly darting towards me.

"I do know something that could brighten up your night." She beams.

Fallon jumps at the opportunity, "Please tell me he died."

She laughs, "No, child. This is something else."

Fallon has already told her not to address her with any kind of title. And Madam Eira listens to her.

We all focus on the old lady. This time I do too. She's quite entertaining.

"There's an old saying, a belief as you will. It is said that the birthmarks on your body are located at a certain place because of your past lover, your soulmate. See the places they used to kiss you are the birthmarks on your skin now."

I notice some people look down at their bodies while Laurent starts laughing out loud until almost tears fall from his eyes. "I don't have any birthmarks." He wheezes.

The way he says it makes it a hundred times funnier. I am the first to burst out in genuine laughter. "I don't think I have any either." I laugh.

"No, you have a few." Fallon confidently replies.

Her brother's eyes snap to hers and she still hasn't noticed anything wrong. She meets his eyes, "What?" She smiles innocently at him while turning to glance at me. She realizes what she did when she sees my smirk.