i miss u even when you're here - part 2

Comincia dall'inizio

They clean up together, littering playful kisses over each other's unclothed skin and throwing soap suds in each other's directions before going their separate ways.

Mark has some assignments to catch up with this Saturday since he had spent his Friday night on a bad movie marathon with Donghyuck instead of being the painfully strict student he always was. Mark would choose watching terrible movies with Donghyuck over another neverending Chemistry lab any day.

There's a panic that sets on fire within them both when they separate, but it is to be remembered that doing things apart doesn't mean they have to drift apart.

Donghyuck spends two hours on their living room couch, absentminded as the tv plays yet another variety show, pshycing himself up to just go to the person he's craving so much. He brings a glass of water to the hard working man as a mere excuse to see him.

When he walks into the study, he's met with a distressed Mark, head heavy in his hands as he struggles to rid his ever replenishing tears. It takes everything not to drop the glass he holds before running over to his boyfriend.

"Baby, what's wrong?" Donghyuck engulfs Mark, frantic hands patting and rubbing on his back, determined to provide the most comfort possible. Donghyuck isn't new to this, hugging and talking Mark through the divorce of his parents and the car accident that left his mother badly injured and in the hospital for months are only a few examples of his comfort in the past.

Reigniting old habits is hard but Donghyuck tries. Donghyuck is trying to be the comfort, the rock, to Mark that he has always been.

Mark finishes his two labs and final essay with Donghyuck's head hooked over his shoulder - watching the miles of jargons filling his boyfriend's screen, imagining just how much he'd struggle through medical school - and Donghyuck's arms secured around his waist, alternating between rubbing and patting at his stomach, thinking that he really wouldn't have made in this far through school without Donghyuck by his side.

Sometimes Mark forgets the habit that he is trying to build with sharing instead of isolating. It's challenging but not impossible; and he definitely falters sometimes but he's trying.

++

Mark lights the candle between them both, the final touch to the sensual ambience. The dim lights in the otherwise pitch black room, the suits they clad themselves in and the fancy meal prepared by Donghyuck himself.

"Do you think we made it through?" Donghyuck asks suddenly.

"Wouldn't we only really know when we reach the end?" Mark pauses, chewing the last piece of meat left in his mouth. "Are you willing to go to end with me?" A question like that would've been daunting just a quarter of a year ago but Mark is able to interlock his fingers with Donghyuck so naturally that the simple action is able to answer his question.

Luckily for them, the conversation over dinner isn't forced. In the 100+ days, they've managed to work themselves up to a comfort level with talking that was likely to never get be compromised, hopefully.

Donghyuck kicks at Mark underneath the set table, "Don't you think you're a little far?" Donghyuck's voice is undeniably sultry and Mark can't help the lame smile that eclipses his features as he all but runs to Donghyuck's side.

Mark doesn't even get to settle properly before Donghyuck is pulling on his tie and they meet in the most desperate, earnest, rushed and teeth-clashing kiss, so different from most of their others but not strange at all.

It's not long before they're forcing articles of clothing from each other, trying their hardest to the sever the physical barrier between them - much easier operation than with the emotional barrier.

Donghyuck rips himself away from Mark's pulse point, panting. He observes Mark's previously styled hair, sticking up all over the place, his plumping lips, his crushed shirt, his rising chest and the progressively constricting area in his already tight pants.

Donghyuck guides his boyfriend to their bedroom, to finish what he's started.

They're trying to rebuild their old relationship, to get back to their state where muscle memory is the most simple undertaking, where loving each other is a welcomed habit, where their commitment is not work, is not hard, is not difficult but easy as the flowing rivers and as sweet as a bird's song.

Let's hope they continue with the good habits they've started to rebuild. But if you wanted my opinion, I think they've got this one figured out.

Date: February 20, 2021