I closed my eyes, listening... I was supposed to be listening to my own voice, but instead, I ended up listening to his footsteps. When he slammed the door shut, and I couldn't hear him anymore, I lifted my head up again.

I let out a long breath in hopes of finding some kind of inner peace so I could hear myself.

...Only to realize I was listening all wrong.

I got up and started walking to the town. Once there, I turned back to human and made my way down the main street, passing by the little boutiques we had, and stopped in front of one of them.

"Hey, Arch! What can I get for you?" the owner, Clarissa, smiled at me, walking to me as I stepped in.

I looked around until I saw what I was searching for and pointed at the little bag with a white ribbon around it.

"All right, anything else?" she asked as she took it from the shelf and returned to me.

"Nah, not right now," I told her. "Is there anything you need?"

She stopped to think for a moment, tapping her nose. "Well, I always need eggs," she then smiled, giving the bag to me.

"Sure thing – I'll come drop them off before closing time," I promised and told her goodbye.

After stepping out of her bakery, I walked back up, heading straight to Jack's cabin.

I was listening now. It took me a while, but I was listening.

Without letting my head get in the way, I continued my way down the pathway leading to his place, slowing down when I saw the cabin. I spotted Jack by the window, but he quickly hid behind the walls when he saw me. I stopped in front of the stairs, staring at the closed door, and took a deep breath.

And then I climbed the few steps up and sat down on top of them, opening the bag.

"Want a cookie?" I asked him, grabbing one for myself.

I wasn't surprised by the silence. I listened quietly, but he didn't even move. I would've heard it if he did. He had to be just behind the wall, right behind me.

I looked at the forest, taking a bite of the cookie.

"Clarissa makes the best cookies in the world," I said. "You should try some."

"I don't care about your cookies!" he growled at me, and I smiled a little.

"Trust me, these are good."

"Leave me alone! I don't want to have anything to do with you!" he replied angrily.

"Aye, you told me that," I replied quietly. "But I was hoping you may want some company after all."

"Well I don't, so you can just fuck off!"

"I will, don't worry," I told him. "I just want to hang out with you for a moment. I only know a little about you."

He stayed silent, and it gave me courage to continue.

"I know you're strong, and loyal, and would do anything for those you care about. I also know you've been through really horrible things even before you got possessed. And I know you never wanted any of this to happen. I know you're a good person."

I waited for a moment in case he wanted to tell me to fuck off again, but he didn't. I carefully peered at the door, but he wasn't moving, so I grabbed another cookie and turned to look away.

"But I don't know any details about you. I don't even know your personality. I... I feel like I never got to meet the real you," I spoke. "And I want to know the real you."