The rapid exhale of breath seemed louder and gripping the banister in one hand she propelled herself up the steps. Turning around she looked down, the dim glow of the low burning torches illuminated the staircase but there was nothing there.

No one was watching her, and no one was standing at the foot of the stairs.

Her heart was still racing as she walked to her chamber. Leaning back against the wooden door she drew in a deep breath. Closing her eyes, she counted her breath as her body began to calm down.

A rapid knock at her door made her yelp in surprise and a voice called out to her.

"Are you okay, Dawn?"

It was Luke.

Cracking the door open, she met his concerned gaze.

"I called after you, but you didn't answer. And just now I heard you shout. Is everything alright?" He asked and all she could do was nod. Still unable to form coherent sentences.

He slowly nodded but the concern did not leave his eyes. Stepping back, he scratched the hair at his nape. He does that often, Dawn thought.

"Dinner is ready. I was going to head down now. Shall I escort you?" Luke asked in a weary voice.

"Y-yes." She finally responded. "Give me a moment."

Closing the door, she drew in a few deep breathes and straightening her clothes she exited her chamber to find Luke standing patiently for her. He stepped forward, offering his arm to her, she allowed him to escort her to the kitchens where the dishes were already being cleaned. She had not realized the time, but from the sounds her stomach was making and the setting sun in the horizon, it was well past dinner.

Sitting beside Luke, Dawn quietly ate her meal. She felt his gaze on her, but he did not ask her any questions. She appreciated that. Because she, herself, did not know how to answer or even begin speaking about what had happened in the Library.

For one, she could not even answer why she was in the Library to begin with. That would mean telling him about the logs and the tome, the latter which was hidden in her chamber. Instead, she suffered her unrelenting thoughts in silence.

"In my youth I came across a lake that shone like a newly polished mirror." Dawn looked up from her hands. Gus had begun another one of his stories.

"There was a waterfall that sent a shimmering mist into the air. I met a beautiful woman there." The men whistled and whooped at this. She smiled as she saw a faint blush appear on Gus' face. "Yes, yes, she was beautiful. She had an ethereal presence to her and when I approached her, she vanished behind the waterfall. I called out to her, but she was gone." The men grumbled with disappointment, but Luke asked over their groans, "where was this waterfall?"

Gus smiled, his mind somewhere far away. "A river fed into the falls from The Twin Peaks."

That was north of her village, Dawn thought. Another asked, "what did she look like?"

A mischievous smile spread on Gus' face, as he dropped his voice, "Imagine the most expensive jewel and that was how her skin shown. And her hair! The most vibrant silk would be rendered no better than wool in comparison."

"What was she wearing?"

Gus drank from his goblet then. And looking at the young man asking questions he said, "her long, flowing hair was all that kept her beauty hidden from my eyes."

The room burst with sounds of the collective anguish of the male counterpart. A few women could be seen hitting their beaus on the arm as they hooted at Gus' revelation. She heard Luke chuckled beside her as he brought his cup of ale to his mouth. Excusing herself, she got up to leave. She made it out of the kitchens when Luke called her from behind.

"Is everything okay?" He asked and she softly smiled. His eyes showed genuine concern and it was calming to know that she had someone that cared for her.

"Everything is fine. Just a little tired." She lied and could see that he too knew that she was lying but held his questions. Instead he smiled and asked her, "I have to pick up some supplied for Gus. Do you want to accompany me into the city?"

Smiling, she answered, "Yes I would like that."

"Great! I'll come by your room tomorrow. We can eat lunch at my uncle's inn."

Luke joyfully said and casting one final look at her he turned back to join to others still hollering from more raunchy details of Gus' adventures.

In her chamber, she watched the sleeping city through her small window. Tomorrow she had hoped to return to the Library, but a small reprieve might do her some good. 

A/N I wonder what Hunter and Gavin are up to.