Chapter 1 - Angel.

~Kamsi~

*
I don't believe in angels, cause angels only exist in our dreams. But I've had nightmares all my life, and I guess that's why they seem so surreal to me.
It's like they're myths, and yet we try hard enough to believe that they truly exist.

*

I knew the least people to be happy about my return. I took that into recognition the minute I walked back into the prison called a house, which was meant to be a home but failed to be called one; miserably.

It wasn't meant to be such a big deal. But it was. My sister, Kambili, wouldn't let me out of her sight. And I was getting tired of telling everyone that I was okay with living in the same house as the man whom I had come to hate with all I've got. A man whom I was meant to refer to as my father.

"Kamsi, are you even listening?" Tyrone had to yank my arm, really hard, to get my attention.

"No." Came my curt reply. "I wasn't listening to you. Sorry." I added, and he sighed

I still hadn't forgotten that my home was on fire. Not literally, but it felt like it. "Bruh, I been yapping sh*t all through and you ain't even listening." Tyrone was African-American. Sometimes he'd try to use the normal Nigerian slangs, but ended up switching back to his normal Black American accent. Couldn't blame him though, I found the accent dope as hell.

"Sorry, man. Still thinking about everything, and I just don't know. I don't get it." I sighed.

"Don't get what?" Tyrone placed a hand over my shoulders, and we both walked down to his father's awaiting Range Rover. Today was Friday, and if I wanted to keep my sh*t intact, then going home would be the last thing I'd ever do.

I was going to crash at Tyrone's place. "Do I need to say it? Man, forget it."

Tyrone sighed and we kept walking till we got to the car. "I feel you though. I been wondering how come Alisa's mother and sister just happened to show up. It's like they just came out of thin air and waltzed into the picture without permission. I mean, her sister cute and all but I don't even think they're related. They could be lying. In fact, they must be lying." He said and I nodded cause I couldn't agree more.

"You said everything I was thinking." I said and he shrugged.

"We're like bros." And then we fist-bumped and got into the car. The ride was a quiet one, and trust me, I was sure-as-hell going to have to dig into that sh*t about Alisa's mother and sister. I couldn't even see the resemblance, but everything they presented seemed so genuine. I almost believed them too, but not quite. It felt like all they said was true to a degree. A bigger part of me wasn't buying the rest of the crap they spat out of their mouths.

"Yo, you gon' see Alisa soon or what?" I immediately remembered that I had told him we would go see her. But from the looks of things, I didn't see the point no more.

"No."

Tyrone scoffed. "Seriously, man? No? Just no? You're one hard arse." I wanted to laugh at his stupid, senseless, unimportant, dumb remark... But I felt my lips tighten like they were made of titanium and we're as heavy as lead.

"Whatever. But how about your dad though? You two had 'the talk' yet?" I was getting sick of Tyrone asking questions that brought me right back to square one. I was getting sick of Tyrone making smart remarks that made think about everything so much that it was driving me nuts.