Chapter One

The day she signed the papers, Ana could not have accurately imagined what her life would become. All she knew was that she wouldn't have to worry about work or income or bills or any of that any more. After the toll the last couple of years had taken on her mentally and emotionally, the prospect of escaping it all had been too much to resist. The Libertas Foundation promised such an escape. Ana researched them thoroughly, hoping it wasn't a scam. She met with the application office four different times, and even had the chance to speak with people who had signed up and already moved on to their new lives. They weren't perfect, as nothing really is, but each of them seemed happy, echoing the sentiment that they would do it all over again without a second thought. 

Once she signed, Ana had two weeks to pack up her small apartment. There was a strange sense of relief in the task and even more so in giving notice to her landlord. On the day she reported to the campus, a truck came to take her belongings off to a storage unit provided by Libertas. She was allowed two suitcases of clothing and necessities, but she only packed one. Ana had little she wanted to take with her into her new life. 

She spent the next two months living in a comfortable, dorm-like setting along side dozens of other girls, all ranging from eighteen to twenty-five. Each of them had a bedroom to themselves, with a comfortable full sized bed, small closet and dresser and a desk with a little vintage light. The desk was already stocked with notebooks, pens, pencils and folders for the assignments she would need to complete. Through the foundation, the girls received medical and psychological care and evaluation. Ana wasn't the only one who hadn't seen a doctor in far too long. For her, that alone was worth applying. Her doctor was a kind woman in her thirties with a quirky little smile. Ana was glad to be able to finally get some things that had been bothering her taken care of, and to have other fears laid to rest. 

The days were easy. The wake-up bell went off at eight, breakfast was served at nine with a variety of hot and cold options. Three mornings a week, she saw a therapist, something she'd wanted to do for a long time but hadn't been able to afford. Being able to take care of her own mental health felt like a luxury on par with the grandest vacation. When one didn't have therapy in the morning, those hours were spent wandering the garden or reading in the amazingly well stocked library or creating in the art room. They were encouraged to not spend a lot of time alone in their rooms.

Lunch came at one, followed by lessons until five. These included what to expect on Selection Day and after, basic protocols and how to get their affairs in order so they would be able to leave their old lives behind completely. There were also classes in cooking, dance, art, baking and a myriad of other things. Dinner was served at six. In the evening, there were movies and live performances one could watch, as well as a game room that was always busy, or you could wander off and do your own thing. Ana spent a great many evenings out in the garden with a good book. Before coming to Libertas, she hadn't had much time, or energy, to read for fun. Now she was all to happy to take advantage of that. Lights out came at eleven. The entire experience, while somewhat strange, was altogether pleasant. Now, with her twenty-fifth birthday only days away, Ana and the other girls prepared for Selection Day. 

They were woken up earlier than usual, at six in the morning and fed a wonderful, large breakfast. Following that, the girls were taken to a special bath house on the campus. They were instructed to shower and thoroughly shave before being lead into a large, open room with several good sized tiled pools filled with warm, scented water. Though it wasn't the first time they had all been naked around each other, it was still slightly awkward. There the girls were encouraged to soak and swim and relax. 

Older women around the edges of the pools washed and conditioned their hair for them and when they finally got out, each girl was toweled off and rubbed down with oil to moisturize the skin. Ana could feel her nerves beginning to take over. It wouldn't be long now. Filing into the next room, each girl received a short, sleeveless dress of soft, sheer cotton. The garments clung to their damp skin, leaving little to the imagination. Then again, that was the whole point. The fabric draped over Ana's small, lithe body, falling to just below her firm, heart shaped backside.

Glancing around at the curves of some of the other girls, Ana had to resist the urge to cover herself as she had many times. While pleasingly shaped, her backside wasn't nearly as full as she would like and her breasts were barely a handful. She had always wanted larger ones, but never had the courage or the funds to do anything about it. Push-up bras were next to useless. Her creamy skin was almost as pale as the material covering it, with raven black hair that fell to her waist, giving her a somewhat ethereal look. In her bare feet, as she was now, Ana stood barely five foot three inches and at that moment she could only hope someone would chose her for her size rather than in spite of it. 

At precisely noon, Ana and the other girls were lead out to a beautiful garden on the back of the campus. Around the garden, small pedestals were situated among the vibrant flowers and lush, green bushes. Paths laid with crushed granite wound in and out and around the planted areas. The scent of lilacs mixed with honeysuckle and hyacinth hung in the warm, humid air. The light reflecting off the path burned her eyes, but they weren't allowed sunglasses. One by one each girl was helped up on to a pedestal. Men wandered the garden paths, watching and admiring the girls. 

Ana knew there were other such campuses where one might select or be selected by other genders. She had briefly considered a different one. While Ana held an attraction to the feminine form as well as the masculine, when she thought of belonging to someone, it was always a man. It had been for as long as she could remember. Her eyes darted around, knowing that at the end of the day, she would belong to one of them.

The youngest a man could be to attend Selection Day was twenty-eight. Ana learned that in her first week on the campus. There didn't seem to be an upper limit. Most of the men looked to be in their thirties or forties. She posed on her little pedestal as she had been taught, with her hands folded neatly behind her back and her head held high, making sure not to lock her knees. It was everything she could do to not fidget with her hair. Ana instead focused her attention on the men. Some of them were dressed in a suit and tie, others in slacks and blazers. A few of the younger ones wore jeans and well-fitted button up shirts. 

She could feel their eyes on her, tracing the lines of her body through the nearly invisible dress, Minutes felt like a lifetime. Men stopped now and then for a closer inspection, making notes on the small pads provided to them. At three in the afternoon, the men retired to the restaurant and lounge to inspect the files of the girls that had caught their interest and to make their final selection. The girls were lead away for a late lunch.

The dining hall, usually filled with happy chatter and laughter, was mostly silent, the only sounds those of eating and the occasional nervous whisper. Everyone knew this was likely their final meal together. That evening, they would sleep in their new homes. Ana found the thought simultaneously frightening and thrilling. After lunch, they were released to pack the few things they would take to their new homes and to bathe once more, changing into a clean dress like the one they wore before. 

At six that evening, they filed into the corridor leading to the Assignments office, their luggage at their sides. The wait there was more unbearable than that in the garden, names being called one by one. Ana trembled when she heard her own, a flood of nervousness and excitement overtaking her. She stepped out of line and made her way to the open office door, the soles of her soft canvas shoes barely making a sound. The corridor stretched out in front of her, the distance between her and the door both too great and too short. The eyes of the other girls lining the hall were on her the entire way. She didn't need to look at them to know that.