25

☁️

Romeo sat with his sketchpad open, doodling on Aron's bed and waiting for the two to finish their business. He kept the door cracked, hearing an occasional snarky remark from Aron or even Lacy laughing. He heard the same names repeated, over and over.

Phil.

Eric.

Rachel.

Romeo recognised Rachel's name as his own professor. Eric was someone new. But judging from what he could understand, Phil seemed to be the most important out of the others mentioned. There was tension, he could tell, but nothing that couldn't be smoothed over. They were going over legal documents, separating things equally...?

And then he heard his name. Muttering. "Isn't he a little young?"

Romeo certainly perked up then. He crept to the door of Aron's room on his toes and pressed his ear to the crack to listen. There was more mumbling, something he couldn't make out but it was Aron speaking.

"Don't break his heart, too."

"I wouldn't do that intentionally to anyone. Especially not him."

Silence.

Romeo could sense the tension again. He swallowed hard, pressing a hand to his chest and to his racing heart, as if that would slow it down. The sincerity and concern in Aron's voice made Romeo's knees a little too weak and his heart flutter a little too much. He wanted it to stop; he didn't like feeling so...invested.

Yet when he looked down, he realized he was clenching Aron's pillow to his chest. Not the pillow he slept on, but the pillow Aron slept on because Romeo liked the way it smelled. And when he looked at his artbook there were only sketched pictures of Aron in it. He wasn't even wearing his own clothes; he had pulled on one of Aron's shirts.

The feeling was sickening and he wanted it to stop. Even if it did feel a little nice...

He listened to what he could of the conversation and then heard chairs moving against the floor. Romeo ran back to the bed, his sketchpad in hand, and heard the two mumble goodbyes. The door opened and closed. And then footsteps.

The door to the bedroom opened and Aron stared at him, looking exhausted. He rubbed the bridge of his nose.

"Aron..."

"Let's go."

"Huh?"

"You heard me. You wanted to go for a drive. Let's go. Get some shoes on."

Romeo hesitated. "We...We don't have to. You seem really stressed. If you want I can go...?"

"You should know by now, that I always have something making me fucking stressed and pissing me off. I'll cool down while I'm driving. So either get your ass up, shoes on and in the car or I'm leaving without you."

Romeo quickly obeyed and found his shoes before Aron could say another word.

It was a much needed drive indeed.

Within minutes of driving with the top down on his Porsche, Aron's entire demeanor changed. His brow softened and he didn't press his lips together in such a thin line. He relaxed back in his chair, his arm on the car door and his head resting against a lazy hand.

Romeo tried not to watch him. He kept his eyes on the lake they drove around, relishing in the cool air and soft waves of the water. They would pass by joggers and bikers and people with their dogs. Romeo stretched out, raising his arms above his head and staring at the sun through his fingers.