Angharad heard Layla gasp, already connecting the dots to the unfortunate news of their friend.

"What are you saying?" James' voice was shaky. Jeremiah looked to his brother. He's made the connection too. Angharad could see the turned heads of Eld, Gunther, Oluo, and Petra from the table next to them, also listening to her shitty deliverance of condolences.

"Nobody from Ilse's squad came back...Ilse included." Angharad met James' eyes, now suddenly dull and lifeless and he processed what he had been told. "There was a sighting of a mass amount of red flares...and then eventually a single purple flare before we were called to retreat."

Layla was sniffling now as she tried to hold back her tears of sorrow. Jeremiah had pulled her to his chest as she cried to herself, but his eyes were glue to his brother, who still had not moved, though he could see James' hands were shaking.

"James," Ang began. "I want you to know that I am so sorry. I know that words can do little to ease your pain-"

Suddenly James was out of his seat and launching himself over the table, his hands locked around Angharad's throat, both soldiers falling to the floor. James, having a similar large stature as his brother, overpowered Ang completely. His large frame caged her in against the floor, his legs pinning hers down so she couldn't move or fight back, and for once Angharad was regretting training her squad as well as she did. She had nowhere to go, no way to fight back.

Ang wasn't strong enough to fight him from her position, her small stature would do little against the larger man. Her hands were wrapped around James' wrists, desperately trying to lessen the strength of his grip around her throat. Angharad could vaguely hear the panicked voices of the other soldiers yelling at James, screaming at him to let go. Jeremiah released Layla from his arms, and rushed over to his brother, yanking at his shoulders and the back of his jacket in attempt to pull him off the small blonde woman. James only swung his arm back, fist knocking into Jeremiah's nose, and a sickening crack was heard.

Angharad tried to use his temporary distraction to gain the upper hand against James, but the burly brunette caught her swinging fist in his own, twisting her wrist in his large hand, and Ang could feel the bones shifting and rubbing together painfully before he returned his focus back to gripping at her throat, his eyes crazed and burning into her with rage. Angharad could feel his nails digging into her skin, drawing blood to the surface of her skin. Her vison was darkening now, and Ang wondered if James was actually going to kill her.

All at once, James was lifted off of her, and Angharad sucked in a large breath of air, before her throat burned and she went into a coughing fit. She could feel hands on her shoulder and her waist as whoever helped her turned her over on her side, blood dribbling out of her mouth and onto the floor the more she coughed and struggled to breathe. Angharad spared a glance towards where James was still struggling in the hold of his brother and Mike. Jeremiah was sporting a bloody nose and a matching, red-stained mouth, whereas Mike was visibly gritting his teeth in anger as he and Jeremiah struggled to restrain the younger twin.

Tears gathering in her eyes, Angharad coughed again and felt more blood puddle on the floor beneath her, and a pale hand entered her line of sight, wiping at the mix of blood and spit trailing from her mouth with a handkerchief. Ang felt the person's other hand help her slowly sit up, still wiping at her chin, and Ang looked up to see grey eyes, and a barely restrained angry expression.

"Le-vi." Her voice cracked and stuttered over his name, and the pain in her throat worsened tenfold. Tears that had gathered in her eyes now fell freely down her face, and she lifted a hand to reach for her throat. The raven haired man before her shook his head and stopped the ascent of her hand to avoid her further agitating her wounds.

"Don't try to speak. We don't know the extent of the damage." He lightly gripped her chin and tilted her head up, using his other hand to move the collar of her dark blue shirt aside. James really did a number on her. His nails had really dug deep into her skin, crescent shaped marks littered her neck, while the force of his grip had left her skin a mess of smeared dark red, and yet at the same time it was already turning a mess of blue and purple. Levi could hear the door to the mess hall open again as Erwin stepped into the room, not bothering to question the events that had just occurred, only looking to Mike and Jeremiah.

"Take him to the dungeon. Chain his hands, so he can't try to escape." Erwin's voice was deep and commanding, the only visible sign that he was angry was the deep creasing of his thick eyebrows.

Mike nodded and Jeremiah, although hesitant to lock up his own brother, led his twin between him and Mike out of the room and down the stairs. Erwin then turned to Angharad and Levi, still on the ground. The dark haired male was using his sleeve to wipe at the tears on her cheeks, not wanting to smear the blood from the handkerchief across her face.

"Levi." Erwin's voice caused Levi and Ang to look up to their tall friend. He could see how every wheezing breath she took made her cringe in pain. She sniffled and then coughed again causing both men's anger to spike. "Take her to medical, and then report back to me with her results."

Levi nodded, reaching to swing one of Ang's arms over his shoulders, his other arm tucking under her knees as he slowly lifted her from her place on the floor. He adjusted his grip across the back of her shoulders to assure that her head would be tucked against his chest, instead of falling back, as it would only cause her more pain if she strained her neck. He spared one final glance to Erwin as he turned and carried Ang out of the mess hall. Angharad, with her hands still shaking, tucked her face further into Levi's chest.

In that moment, Levi allowed himself to indulge in the knowledge that Ang felt safe within his grasp. His fingers tightened almost unnoticeably against her body and quickened his steps towards the medical wing of HQ.

~

Ang,

I don't really know what to say, but Eren and Armin have both been saying that I should write to you more often. I'm sure Armin's letters have given you plenty of information about our time here in the Cadet Corps. He's been going through the books you've sent so fast, that he's now rereading them before bed at night.

Eren's scores haven been getting a lot better. He's determined to reach one of the Top 10 spots at graduation. We've made some really good friends too. I've gotten close with my bunkmate, Sasha Braus. She's kind of goofy, and likes to sneak snacks into our training exercises, but she's a determined soldier and a loyal friend.

How are you? How have you been lately? I heard from one of the assistant instructors that you guys just got back from another expedition. He didn't say much, but it sounded like it didn't go too well. I hope you and everyone on the squad came back safely. We all want you to be safe, and we're looking forward to your next visit when you have some free time in your schedule. Life as a Lieutenant must be pretty busy. We miss you, and we really hope that you're okay. We love you. See you soon Auntie.

~Mikasa