[33]

QUICK TRIGGER WARNING! This chapter contains very brief domestic violence. Please proceed with caution if this upsets you in any way.

Enjoy.

That morning, Sophie received a message.

Her father was ill, and her mother wanted to apologize for not being at her wedding because of this.

The thought of returning home immediately occurred to Sophie. But she didn't want to make any sudden decisions without telling someone.

When she got back to her room, Fitz was still in bed. He was awake now, but resting and reading a book. A pair of thin glasses rested on the bridge of his nose.

"Fitz..."

"Hm?" He didn't look up.

"It's my father. He's ill and I was thinking of going back to Havenfield,"

He sighed, "I still don't understand, not in the slightest, how you can even consider facing your father,"

"We made amends," Sophie sat down at her vanity, brushing her hair and putting in her earrings. "He's my father. I will always be there for him like he was for me,"

"If it were my call," he took off his glasses and set down his book. "He'd be beheaded for setting foot within a 20-mile-radius of you."

"Fitz!" Sophie shot to her feet. "That's not funny!"

"It boggles my mind that you've forgiven him!"

He also stood, holding his hands out for dramatic effect.

"We made amends!" Sophie restated. "Just because he ripped me away months ago does not mean we continue to spite him!"

"You're the telepath!" He yelled. "Why don't you come over here and watch what it was like for me?"

"How about you see what sobbing in a bed that didn't even feel like mine was like! For days I neither slept nor ate! So do NOT compare temporary sadness to mental scarring!" She stomped her foot. "Now I would kindly appreciate we don't joke of my father dying when he is ill and when-!"

"Who said I was joking?" He furrowed his brow. The seriousness in his tone knocked her back a step.

Her ears rang and it took her a realize to moment she was still there.

"And when your kind, your damn abilities and perfectness, is the reason that my family is dead..." she finished in a quiet and hurt voice.

"Our kind," Fitz corrected and rolled his eyes.

"No." Sophie felt sudden fury rush through her. "Your kind. Have you had to live, everyday day, knowing you're the reason you'll never see your mother or father again? Knowing you were foolish and could have prevented it? That's what my kind is. We still live through the hate and the highs and lows that won't stop rising  and falling!"

Her ears rang once again, but silence filled the room. It took her a moment to realize she was crying.

She quickly wiped her tears away, clearing her throat. "I think it best I go."

He reached out and grabbed her wrist. "I forbid it!"

"Let me go!" She screamed, trying to pull his hand away with her other.

He grabbed her other wrist. "Stop being so difficult!"

"Stop being like you?" She scowled, her vision turning blood red.