Chapter 50-Across the Universe 🕒Saturday, December 21st, 1963🕞

Start from the beginning

"So I take it you travel a lot, then?" I said, responding to his quip 'when in london.'

He smirked. "You could say that."

I squinted at the chandelier hanging above the staircase.

"To be honest, I thought you were a regular bum."

He let out a laugh.

"A costume, merely to blend in with my surroundings. I assure you I am no pub crawler...although I may have been in another life. And my dear, I can assure you...I am anything but regular."

I frowned. "Wanna run that by me again or do I wanna know?"

"Nevermind."

He shook his head, motioning for me to sit on the sofa across from him, next to a glowing and welcoming fireplace. After warming his hands for a moment, he turned to face me, a look of genuine and implicit trust covering his face.

"Wendy, I'll be as candid and honest with you as I can possibly be...if you will allow it."

I gave a sarcastic but nervous laugh. "Of course. Go for it. At this point, I expect nothing less."

Nodding, he set his cup down on the table and folded his hands together.

"As I told you, I am from your future...24th century to be precise. We travel across the galaxy 'fixing' the space continuum and working in outer space. When man first started tinkering with time in the 21st century, that's where we came in, fixing all of the things that could possibly go wrong, things that these early scientists never bothered to take into consideration. Humanity should know better than to alter anything as sacred as time, a race so broken, so corrupt." He scoffed, and a look of great sadness passed over his face. "First, they messed around with immortality and now this. They often altered history in the early days and we were sent to fix it back. I am an agent, a 'handyman of time' so to speak."

He raised an eyebrow, pausing slightly to make sure I was tracking with him before continuing. I gave a slight nod before something occured to me.

"Who's we?"

He seemed to ignore my question, plunging on obliviously.

"Where I come from, time has no meaning. We have these beings called 'Q's' who ultimately give themselves more credit than they ought to. They're all the same -bragadocious and manipulative, practical jokesters in their own right. It's a bunch of rubbish, really. They look like ants still and pale in comparison to God."

I opened my mouth a couple of times and shut it, like a fish. "Um..."

"Nevermind, Wendy. We haven't the time. I couldn't possibly show you everything. Perhaps someday when you return to your own time you will learn..."

"I mean, technically you just said time had no meaning, so don't we have all the time in the world..."

"Alright, put a sock in it."

I pursed my lips.

"So essentially, you were sent here to fix the experiment with me?"

"You could say that, yes. However, you do have a purpose...you were always intended to come."

My heart sped up.

"Are you telling me that there is a greater meaning in my being here?"

He nodded.

"Yes, Wendy. It isn't as though you were just sort of drifting through to fulfill some cock-eyed lab experiment. Of course that was part of it but the real reason you're here is to play a critical role in history. Something happens here in the next month that is very important for the boys." He paused, raising an eyebrow. "Do you know what that might be?"