Chapter 1 (Pretty much the Prologue)

[ These are my designs for Dave and Karkat ]

The sky was still dark when Karkat felt himself awake in a cold sweat. His eyes glanced around, they must have hit a bump in the road, that was nothing new. Or it was the dream that he was having. It wasn't as much of a dream as it was a memory. A memory that haunted him even to that day. It was 13 years ago and it still hurt to think about, making him cringe in disgust.
The time he yelled at poor Jade Harley in front of a bunch of people all because of his lingering feelings for Dave strider, why did it have to be Dave Strider. He didn't even remember what he said but he could remember Dave following him upstairs to the bathroom to make sure he was okay. That was the only good part.
His eyes wandered across the bus, looking at one of the bunk beds that Dave was on. But he saw the outline of Jade next to him. His eyes narrowed as he wondered, what would it feel like to be in her space.
He let out a quiet longing whimper as his head laid back down.
He had to worry about being the manager of Dave's band. He couldn't think about some silly crush he had on him since they were little.
But he really did wonder, would he ever get over the blond headed idiot.
His head rested back down and his eyes shut slowly.
He felt himself going into the dream again.
The bathroom light was dim and it made a small buzzing noise, and there sat Karkat, his back pressed firmly against the door. His legs were curled up to his chest. And his head lay neatly in the palms of his hands, his long sharpened claws dug firmly in his forehead. Why didn't he just run out of the front door instead of making it harder on himself when he needed to escape.
He said some terrible things to a girl at the party. Her name was Jade and she had everything good in a girl. But Karkat didn't see her that way. He saw her as filth. He knew he shouldn't think like that because she made Dave happy and that's all Karkat wanted for his friend. But he still felt the jealousy rise in his chest. Dave was supposed to be dancing with him, not with her. Doesn't he understand the feelings that he has for him? It's completely unfair.
The silence took over except for the buzzing of the lights and the muffled music that was playing downstairs. He felt a soft knock on the door. He waited, to see whos voice would be at the door.
"Karkles?" A familiar voice said through the door. It was laced with concern. But Karkat didn't like that. He didn't want Dave to feel bad for him. He didn't want anyone to feel bad for him. He was strong. He didn't need his sympathy.
"Karkat? We're worried about you. Please talk to us." It was another voice. It couldn't have been, Dave really was that low and stupid to bring her up with him. Un-Fucking-Believable.
"Dave, wow. You can't even fight your own fights. You need someone to do it for you." His voice was harsh. It was full of sadness and anger. He waited for a next response but was confused when all he heard was quietly mumbling and then footsteps. Heading off to the right and then down the stairs. Did the really give up on trying to help him that easily. Whatever. Pathetic. He didn't need them anyways.
But that's when he felt the weight slide down the other side of the door, feeling the slight bit of pressure against his back, his head turned a bit, even though nobody would be able to see him.
"Look.. she's gone now. You can talk to me." He said. His voice was still full of that disgusting pity.
Karkat sat there for a few moments. "Do you really like me in that way?" Dave added on. Karkats eyes widened to a large size,
What did he say down there?
"No Dave." Why was he lying to him. Stop lying. "I'm just tired and drunk and I wanted to protect you." Stop blaming your feelings for him on that cheap whisky downstairs. You didn't even take a sip of it.
The silence was painful until Dave said something. "I know you wanted to protect me. But I don't need protecting. I'm fine. Just please. I don't want to hurt you. You are still my closest bro." He said. His voice was laced with that Sorry tone.
"You understand how important you are to me?" He added on.
'Oh I do, but do you understand?' His voice wanted to scream out. But he kept himself composed.
"I understand." Was all he could mutter. The buzzing of the lights had gotten louder and louder and-
Karkat awoke with a jolt, the alarm started going off, he had the same dream twice in one night, terrible.
He shook off the painful memory and made a glance towards Dave's bunk. A sadness pained him. But he looked back down and began to get up and out of bed to start the busy day of managing for the band.

{ Word count : 903}

First chapter is down. I honestly have know clue where I am going with this. But I only have rough ideas. I hope it's enjoyable! I have plans for each chapter to be longer than this one- I don't know we'll have to see