11

TW: small bit of violence, but nothing too bad

Janus was bored out of his mind while he tried to think of a way to escape. But it was better to be bored then listen to the prince ramble anymore.

He couldn't believe that he had to be stuck with a human of all creatures. They're all insane and disgusting and horrible! Yeah Janus has never met a human himself before, but Virgil has and it sounds like the majority of humans suck. They're mostly self absorbed and only think about what they can gain from exploiting anyone else.

And the fae are the same way too, Janus has heard that anyone kidnapped by the fae either dies or becomes a slave. Well, Janus wasn't about to become a slave, he's getting out of here.

He just needs to figure out how. The window is too small to fit through, there's no vent either, and the door is locked tight. So unless he wants to make a scene, which he absolutely does not, it's going to take awhile to figure this out.

"Apparently they're going to take us somewhere and we're going to become slaves," Remus said nonchalantly.

"I already knew that," Janus sighed.

"No, I mean they're going to do it once they know you're awake."

Janus glared at him. "And you didn't think of telling me before?"

Remus shrugged. "I assumed you knew, I was just wondering if you knew a way out of here. I have no plans on becoming a slave for these bugs, I have to make sure my brother gets home safely! I mean, he is going to be king after all."

"What about yourself?"

"Hmm, I don't care all that much. Honestly, I wish I could live in the wild or something like that, like an animal! But I was born into royalty and I have a responsibility to my kingdom and all that boring stuff."

"You don't want to be king? Or even royalty?" Before Janus had found the prince annoying, but now he's just confusing.

"Don't get me wrong, it's nice having all the fancy stuff. But it's just not for me, ya know? In all honesty, I've always wanted to come here to the "Dark Forest" to just explore. But it's too dangerous and not prince-like and blah blah blah."

"Then why were you in the forest in the first place?"

"We came here to take the Heart of Life. Our crops are dying, people are starving, we don't have a lot of money as a kingdom so we're weak in defense. All it would take is one attack and we'd crumble. Plus, people are getting sick and no matter what we do, nothing is getting better."

"Wow you humans are really crazy. Was it part of your plan to get captured by fairies or something?"

"What do you mean?"

"You do know that the Heart of Life is here, right? In the fairy kingdom?"

Remus jumped up in the metal cot he was lying in. "Really?! Heck yeah, I'm so close to it! Where exactly is it?"

"I don't know, it's just a rumor! Besides, I've never been here before, no one has!"

"Dang, I'll have to do some exploring after I get out then. That might be dangerous." Remus smiled. "It also might be fun."

"You are-"

"Insane? I know, I've been told. Ooh, I think I might know how to get us out of here!"

"Really, how?"

Remus rubbed his hands together. "Oh you're gonna love this."

~~~

The fae unlocked the cell door and opened it. "Okay, dragon witchling, before we take you to be a slave you're going to tell us where your... mother..." she trailed off as she saw it was just Remus in the cell. She pointed her spear at him and asked, "Where is the dragon witchling?"

"I dunno, why don't you help me look for him. I think he shapeshifted and turned really small," Remus answered. "I wasn't paying attention."

"Very funny." She walked into the cell. "Where is he actually."

"Up here," Janus said as he jumped down and hit her on the head as hard as possible, knocking her out.

"Haha! Get wrecked!" Remus laughed.

"And thank you." Janus reached down and grabbed her keys.

"Hey, she said something about your mom earlier! I don't think they captured her!"

"Yeah... but we still don't know about my brother. I hope he's okay, I don't think they ever planned on taking him alive."

"Why don't you use that necklace thingy to look for him then?"

"It's the best way to find him I guess."

"Great, well I'm going to look for the Heart. Good luck on getting out of here." Remus went to leave the cell room.

"Wait." Janus grabbed his shoulder, stopping him and turning him around. "Maybe it would be safer if we stuck together."

"Really? I thought you didn't like humans, or am I just that attractable." Remus smirked.

"Ew, not even close. But we can't go out there alone. We'll look for my brother and if we can't find him here we'll look for the Heart. Then we'll get out of here together."

"Sounds like a plan, let's go!"