Jace

TW// Mentions of death

_____________

      At first, Tubbo had been oblivious. Tommy was acting completely normal to him; Loud, obnoxious, and energetic. But then he started showing signs that something was off.

      The occasional whisper in response to silence, the glancing at nothing but always in the same direction, and the laughing when nobody had said a joke. It was odd, but nothing to be too spooked about, even if it was becoming a regular thing for Tommy to do.

      Then it became more obvious with his one-sided conversations. Tubbo had walked in on Tommy casually talking to himself in his bedroom, smiling at his wardrobe as if it were talking back to him. At the sound of the door creaking open though, Tommy stopped, immediately greeting his friend with a wary and suspiciously normal grin.

      Although Tommy thought he had gotten away with whatever he was doing, that wasn't the case. Tubbo became more aware of whenever his friend would do those things, sometimes even writing them down so he would remember to confront him about it in the days to come. Tommy was becoming more and more obvious about it too, not even trying to hide the comments he made on stream when the call sat in silence. Maybe it was because he was going crazy, or maybe it was because Tommy wanted people to find out. Who knows?

      Tubbo didn't, but he sure as hell wanted to.

      So when Tubbo stayed the night at his friend's house, he confronted him about it. About the one-sided conversations, the giggles, the whispers. But Tommy only smiled sheepishly, gesturing to his side as a figure appeared out of thin air.

      A boy. One with transparent skin and no legs, floating in the air and waving. He was introduced as 'Jace', a 17-year-old boy that died 4 months prior and for some reason hadn't yet passed on entirely.

      Tommy explained how he found Jace, about how he was the only one able to see him, and about how it took energy to become visible to mortals other than Tommy. It all made Tubbo's head spin, but at least he knew why his friend was acting so strange.

      So, from then on, Tommy wouldn't hide his discussions around Tubbo. It was irritating at times since the boy couldn't even hear Jace, but it was fun nonetheless. The three became good friends, enjoying their time spent together, until the very last second they could.

      Which, they didn't expect to come so soon.

      Tommy was quiet. Suspiciously quiet. Especially since he had a friend with him at all times. And oh boy did Tubbo not expect to hear what he heard that day.

      The fact that Jace had gone missing, not being anywhere near Tommy nor his house. And Tommy couldn't exactly go to the police about it, since the missing person was dead. They worked together to do whatever they could to find their friend, even up until their very last resource became unsuccessful.

      The day they gave up hope became one of the saddest days in both the boys' lives. They lost a friend, after all. A friend they would never see again until they died as well.