#42: As Promised: The End

Start from the beginning

"Make sure to make up the days you were not in the Council", the man said before leaving

"So, what are you doing there?", Jenos asked. Eleanor massaged her head. "I overslept. I want to slap myself, don't worry. I asked the guard to enter but he said the Emperor was about to make his entrance. I saw the priest and asked if I could be his assistant", Eleanor smiled. Jenos flicked her forehead. He paused and broke into laughter. It was something that Eleanor never heard before. "I will die early if I keep involving myself with you", Jenos felt someone's presence. He turned and bowed. "You can stay", the man allowed. "I believe you have something to tell Council Eleanor", Jenos excused himself and left. 

Xylan walked and looked beyond the horizon. Eleanor silently watched behind him. "You're right. He cares for me. Even if he's the one hurting the most, he's still cared. When we're clashing swords together, I can still feel his consideration. Sorry that I doubted your words for a moment", Xylan apologized. "That's...", Eleanor flinched. "Your Grace, Congratulations on being the Emperor", Eleanor bowed. "I didn't know you changed into a priest's helper", Xylan heard the reason a while ago and also chuckled. Eleanor flushed. "I have to see you get crowned by any means", she pouted. 

The wind blew and the silence wasn't that uncomfortable anymore. "Eleanor", Xylan called out and turned to look at her eyes. "This is the moment for me. Kiel said you can't go jumping from one person to the other, right?", Xylan's words made Eleanor feel unprepared. She crossed her fingers. "I already chose whom I will love", he said with a beautiful smile painted on his face. Eleanor's eyes widened and a smile slowly crept on her face. "That's great", she chuckled. With that face of him, she felt relieved. It was the face that was already prepared to love without reservation. If he was making that face, she felt confident that whoever it would be, that person wouldn't have a hard time loving him back. 

"Your Grace. I'm just curious", Eleanor stepped forward. "What made you say that it was that person?", Eleanor held on her chest. "Because that person, when I try to imagine, she's the one I cannot imagine living a day without", Xylan leaned closer and whispered it. Eleanor remembered seeing Aileen off with a person wearing a hood. The moment Aileen laughed with the person, Eleanor finally realized who it was. That person was the man she couldn't live a day without. 

She nodded. Xylan pulled his face and held out a handshake. "I'll be looking forward to working hand in hand with you again", Xylan stood firmly. "I want to laugh in embarrassment. I was preparing another rejection speech. Your Grace, I'm glad it's not me", Eleanor had a wide smile. Xylan laughed again without reservation. "Arrogant Eleanor, are you back?", Xylan knocked on her head. She shoves his hand away. "You're the first person I ever felt confident to reveal things I wish not to let other people know. People who worked under me need to know what I want and need to work effectively. But you're different. For all those years, you're the first person I could call... a friend", Xylan looked away and scratched his nape. Eleanor chuckled at his embarrassed face. "Fine, fine then", Eleanor raised her hand in defeat. She felt extremely happy being called his friend. After so much avoidance and discomfort, she was able to conquer it by just getting along with the flow until it brought them to where they are now. 

"Eleanor, I finally found my next step

"Eleanor, I finally found my next step. Don't keep on fooling yourself. As your Emperor, I order you to tell him now", Xylan gave a push on her back when she turned to fix her robe. "Seriously?!", Eleanor nearly fell on the ground. "Go. Eleanor is the one who doesn't want to be left behind. That's what I liked about her. I once fell in love with her but now, she's no longer you. Can you just let me see that side of her for the last time before she finally gets buried in my memories?", Xylan gave another smile. Eleanor sighed and gave a nod. 

Palace Hallway

Jenos massaged his temples. He's still recovering from the sleepless night. He heard someone running in the hallway. Who would dare do an unacceptable act? His instinct is to tell him who could do something idiotic as such. He ignored it and continued walking away. 

He's getting farther. I can no longer hold on to my breathing. But if I miss this chance, I feel like it'll take me a long push to muster all the courage again. 

Eleanor missed her footing and lost her balance. She closed her eyes but was welcomed by strong arms. She expected to fall again. A couple of times, Jenos would allow her to fall on the ground, hit the blockage, and also keep on struggling. It was as if he's allowing things to refine her to know how to become better. With Eleanor in between his arms, she found it more difficult to do what Xylan ordered her to. 

"What now?", Jenos sighed. 

"Even a short life would be meaningful if we make sense of it", Eleanor looked into his eyes. 

My life will be shortened if I keep being with you. 

Jenos raised his brow and assisted her to stand properly. "Jenos. You were always there beside me. I wouldn't mind falling over and over again. If you're by my side, I feel confident that I will keep on getting back on my feet. You saw all my failures and stupid mistakes, and still, you said with all sincerity that I am amazing. If it comes from you, I don't need to find any way to prove it", Eleanor pressed her lips together. 

Jenos had a soft chuckle. "Do you realize where we are?", Jenos asked. "I don't care. I received a direct order from His Grace", Eleanor flushed. Jenos massaged his temple. "I'd make use of this shortened life of mine", Jenos pulled Eleanor closer and leaned his forehead on hers. "To keep getting amused and amazed every time I look at you", he closed his eyes. Eleanor felt heated but she managed to hug tight on Jenos. "Let's go, Fineil with scold us out of our wits if we're late", he said then smiled widely. 

Palace Balcony

Palace Balcony

Xylan was silently watching from the balcony. "Your Grace", Claudia called to inform them that he was about to make the announcement. She was sure that it was about the next Empress. The Emperor was unresponsive so she went closer. She stared in the direction of his stares and saw Eleanor and Jenos. She gasped in disbelief. 

"I won't mind if you see me from any angles as well, Claudia", Xylan said without looking at her. "Your Grace?", Claudia seemed not to catch on to it. 

"Let's go", Xylan offered his hand to her.  Claudia was confused as to why he would call her with just her name. 

THE END.