Chapter 9

When Beth excused herself to bed after dinner, I slipped home to do my homework. I only had a couple of weeks left, and then I would have no distractions. I could spend all my time collecting memories with Beth. Even knowing she was sleeping and I was missing nothing, my mind still pulled my eyes to the window. I could see Jake's bedroom light through his curtain.

I willed myself to focus on my studies. I struggled for a couple of hours before giving up. I let my eyes move hungrily to my window. Jake was there, in his own window, gazing out at the lake. The yellow light of his room silhouetted his frame. His eyes twitched in my direction, and I deliberately held my gaze. I wasn't embarrassed that I was looking at him. I wanted him to see me. I wanted him to know that I was watching over him. He gave a weak wave before he moved away from his window.

I changed into an oversized t-shirt and flopped into bed, knowing that sleep would once again elude me. My mind wandered to the comfort of my afternoon nap, the sandwich of warmth from the blanket above and Jake below, the smell of peppermint on his breath flowing over the side of my face and tickling my nose.

I was yanked from the warm memory by the annoying ding of my phone. Jake's name flashed on my screen, and panic immediately coursed through me.

"You awake?"

"Yeah, everything okay?" I texted back quickly.

"Yeah, come to your window."

I pulled myself from the clutches of my sheets and looked across the driveway at Jake's darkened window. I was puzzled for a moment before he appeared in my window just inches from me.

"What the hell, Jake?" I stammered as I opened my window to let him in.

"I've always wanted to do that." He said as he climbed in from the eve outside.

"You could have broken your neck," I chided.

"Chill, Nif, it's only 10 feet tops. At worst, I would have sprained a wrist or something." He flopped down on my bed like he was thirteen again.

"Make yourself at home," I grumbled.

"You should be nicer to me," he sighed.

My mind whirled to Beth. "Sorry," I mumbled.

This time he let out an even heavier sigh, "not because of that." There was a sadness to his tone as though he wasn't just mourning his mom; he was mourning his previous life.

"Then why should I be nice to you, Jake?" I said as I fell onto my bed next to him.

"Because I hear you can't get a date for prom."

"I could get a date for prom. I just..." I sighed.

"What, no apple of your eye?" His tone was mocking.

"I'm between crushes."

"I'll take you."

"Wow, because it's such a huge favor to spend time with me. I don't recall crawling in your bedroom window."

Jake put his arm around me and pulled me tighter to his side. "The things I endure for you."

"Me? Am I one of the things you endure for me? That makes no sense."

"So, you don't want me to take you to prom?"

I did; I did want him to take me to prom. "You can take me. But I should warn you; I am a high maintenance date."

"Oh, I can only imagine," he let out a laugh.

I sighed and melted into his side further.

"What was that sigh about?" He prodded.

"I kinda miss having a crush. A life with a crush is easy," I admitted.

"Tell me about it," he spoke through a yawn.

"You can stay here tonight; if you want," I offered.

"Mmhmm," his mumble came on the edge of sleep. "Thanks, Nif."

I faded quickly. For all the sleepless nights, laying in Jake's arms lulled me into a deep restorative sleep. My body fought against waking.

"Nif," his voice came in a rough whisper still thick with his own sleep. "Nif, I gotta go home for my mom." He shifted slightly beneath me.

"Mmhmm," I mumbled but clung harder to him, eliciting a laugh from Jake.

"Nifer, I gotta go. I'll come back tonight." He kissed the top of my head gently and pulled himself from beneath me.

I rolled over to watch him near the window; the sky was still grey from the slow rise of the sun.

"Don't go out the..." but before I could finish, he was out the window.