Chapter 29

Chapter 29 is dedicated to everyone reading this right now!

Thank you so much for 3K reads!

Your reads, follows, votes and comments always make my day. Love you all😘
-----------------------------------------------------------

I got into the car, nervously glancing at Ashton as he drove off. The crushing silence dragged on as I nibbled yet another one of my nails. This was why I hated wearing nail polish.

"Are you going to say anything?" Ashton asked after a half hour of agonizing silence had passed.

"You're not going to turn into that again are you?"

"That?" he frowned. "What kind of question is that?"

"The kind of question someone asks when they just met the royal family and heard that you were the prince. A not so human prince!"

"Yeah, well you'll be seeing them a lot now, so you might want to face reality soon. And get over your little Origen phobia. I don't need you fainting on me again."

I stared at him, waiting for some more information, but his eyes were glued to the road and his lips were pressed in a thin line. I didn't even notice the ridiculous speed he was going at because of all the confusion.

I had so many questions. How was this possible? Why didn't my parents tell me about this before? If I was adopted, then how did I have so many pictures with them from before the accident? When did Ashton realize I was his 'betrothed'?

I settled on one.

"Why did you show me who you are?"

His grip on the steering wheel tightened. "I wish I didn't have to."

"But you did," I crossed my arms. "Why?"

He glanced at me and sighed. "I don't know how to explain this to you."

"Try me."

"Didn't the king already tell you what you need to know?" he scowled.

"Yes, but I want to hear this from you. You didn't have to take me to meet them, but you did."

"I accidentally brought you up one day," he frowned. "But apparently, the king already knew everything. He's always one damn step ahead of me."

"Who else knows about you?"

"That's none of your business," he spat.

"Isn't it?" I scoffed. "I'm really not a fan of arranged marriages, but look who's about to end up in one."

"I'll think of something."

"Prince Ashton," I pressed.

He was silent for a moment. "Don't call me that."

"Isn't that who you are?"

"If you get used to calling me that, then you might let it slip in public. Just call me what you always do."

"You won't like what I usually call you," I muttered.

He narrowed his eyes. "Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I'm just a jerk to you."

"I'm glad you know now," I huffed. "You're the most annoying prince I've ever met."

"I'm the only prince you've ever met."

That was true. I sighed and turned to him. "Can I really trust you to sort this out?"

He nodded slowly. "But I'm going to need you to play along."