𝑜𝑛𝑒 ℎ𝑢𝑛𝑑𝑟𝑒𝑑 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑟𝑡𝑦 𝑠𝑖𝑥.

Start from the beginning

"Yes, I have," Mulstone declared from the head of the table with an amused chuckle. "Hestia and Sanson did well to get the right ideas in their head at a young age, then."

At the other head of the table, Orion nodded stiffly.

"Most certainly. And I suppose that the new professor, Abrigor Bounce, is also ensuing the proper perception of the Dark Arts without too much pushback?"

Hollis's eyes widened at these words, and she had to draw the thick, dark grey napkin from her lap over her mouth to disguise her smile in a few coughs. Evans gave her a suspicious look, while Regulus from across the table looked down and bit his inner cheek to prevent the corners of his mouth from tugging upwards.

The only person that knew better about Hollis's constant defiance to their new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor than Regulus was Remus. Both boys, though, were always counting on her to speak up and make sure that their younger years weren't getting their minds molded in the wrong ways.

"He is in my year," Evans stated, and Regulus nodded along in agreement.

The Black brother hated the act, but he needed to seem like he would never stray from his pureblood ideals convincingly.

"Yes, the best DADA professor we've had since I came to Hogwarts," Regulus added on, which made all four of the parents smile with arrogant satisfaction.

"What about you, Appoline?" Walburga asked, but not in a kind way as if noticing her since and being concerned.

Now, Walburga Black was perfectly aware of the Rosier daughter's reputation to be very similar to her former son's. Completely disregarding of any sort of dignity, associating with mudbloods, halfbloods, and Gryffindors like they were her equals.

Then, their heads turned to Hollis, expecting her to add on to the praise of Abrigor Bounce. Mulstone's eyes narrowed into a demanding glare, as if to say you better answer this correctly.

Usually, Hollis would have said something completely contrary. But her promise to Remus rang in her ears.

Stay safe.

I'll try.

You've got me bloody mad, Lupin, Hollis thought as she took in a short breath, not quite believing what she was about to say.

"I actually rather enjoy class with Professor Bounce," Hollis lied.

Instead of looking approving, her parents were both highly suspicious of Hollis's oddly perfect response.

The rest of the dinner continued with poised and prejudiced conversation that Hollis forced herself to go through with. It was horrible, but every time she was about to explode she thought of Remus. She had to get stay safe, for him.

As their meal was coming to a close, Vindia coughed delicately and stood up from her chair.

"Excuse me and Appoline for a moment, I need to have a discussion," Vindia trailed off slightly. "I need to have a discussion with my daughter."

Her pointed features almost looked nauseous as she called Hollis her daughter. Hollis didn't know whether to feel pleased or upset that her mother couldn't handle the nerve of her own daughter. Once they were around the corner and has slid into a separate parlor, Vindia's expression turned from uncontrolled to absolutely furious.

"What do you think you're playing at?" Vindia hissed, and Hollis stepped back slightly at how infuriated her mother sounded.

Hollis curled up her lip in disgust at her mother.

"So I'm not allowed to be not disagreeable for once?" Hollis questioned, already knowing the answer.

"Oh, don't try and fool me with that fake innocence, Appoline," Vindia bit back, her words as sharp as a knife. "I know you're acting like this for a reason."

"So I can't do anything right, then?" Hollis relatiated as quickly as lighting. "You hate me when I disagree, you're suspicious when I do agree."

They both knew that Hollis never actually was compatible with anything that Mulstone, Evans, Orion, Walburga, or Vindia herself said, no matter what she acted like.

"Is it really that hard to have me as a daughter?" Hollis snapped, crossing her arms.

This whole thing was so fake, Hollis was defending a side of herself that didn't even exist.

Vindia's brown eyes were so dark that they were almost black. With absolute rage at how little she could read her daughter, Vindia slapped Hollis across the cheek with a collision that echoed through the room. Hollis let out a slight pained noise that made Vindia smirk in satisfaction.

"I will discover what you're up to, Appoline," Hollis's mother declared in a lethally low tone. "Why you're acting like this obviously has a devious reason. And once I do, you better be prepared."

Hollis's cheek stung with the warning.

And Hollis knew her mother well enough to know that it wasn't an empty threat.

based off the racist relatives that no one likes at thanksgiving

1.4k words