35 - "THE TWO LINES"

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

song of the chapter - "you broke my heart again" by teqkoi on spotify

"the two lines"

James threw down his broom like it was nothing onto the snow, sprinting towards Hollis and Regulus the second his black Quidditch boots hit the hard ground.

He wasn't the only one.

Remus was simultaneously shoving through the tightly packed crowd around him, not bothering to make his usual polite apologies to whomever he ran into. As Lupin pushed through the students, McGonagall, Hooch, and Dumbledore were also hurrying towards Hollis, it very quickly becoming very clear that this was no normal hit from a bludger.

She was leaning far too heavily on Regulus, even if that wasn't much weight. Her eyelids were heavy as she bit down on her tongue, a single tear cutting down her skin. White spots were dancing on the back of her eyelids every time she shut them for longer than a second.

Nothing was worth this, thought Hollis as a tear froze on her face. Nothing was worth feeling like dying.

A voice from her left shouted, tone raw. His familiar steps raced through the snow, their pattern comforting and something certain for her senses to grasp onto, to focus on.

Something was worth it.

"Mr. Lupin, let us handle it from here," came Dumbledore's firm voice.

There was some muffled shouting from what sounded like Remus and James, and then another couple of sets of footsteps that couldn't have been anyone but Lily, Dorcas, and Marlene also shoving their way down to the pitch. 

"Like you just helped her then?" yelled Regulus, and there was some rustling. "You aren't shit."

"Mr. Black!" came an outraged shout from McGonagall.

"No, no, Minerva," Dumbledore's voice chimed in calmly. "The boy has a right to be emotional."

"Hell yeah, I do!" Regulus shouted. "When Potter got hit by a bludger a few games ago and kept holding his arm, he forced the Gryffindors to call a time out and went to check on him himself! But when Hollis is literally about to fall off her broom even after the match is over, he didn't do anything! What? How is that-"

"Regulus," Hollis cut him off, squeezing her eyes shut as she shook her head. "Inside, now. Please."

They all turned back to the girl they had been arguing over, realizing that she needed to get to the hospital wing as soon as possible. Lily watched Regulus's expression carefully as he helped her friend in, something about his outburst not sitting right with her.