9 - "SCREW YOU"

CHAPTER NINE

"screw you"

The Gryffindor common room was buzzing with anticipation among fifth, sixth, and seventh years. James, Peter, and Remus had taken lounging on the couches while waiting for Sirius to come down, all three of them slouched, bored, and gradually becoming more annoyed.

"Sirius Black, if you take one more minute to comb your hair, this birthday party is going to become a deathday party!" Remus shouted up the stairs, tilting his neck backward off the frame of the couch.

"I'm sorry I want to look presentable. You should try it sometime!" came a reply from the fifth year boy's dorm.

James was reading the letter again, shielding it from Remus and Peter with a pillow. A stream of smoke came from his mouth as he scanned the same line repeatedly, dissecting the collage of ominous words over and over, hoping to find some answer or hidden meaning.

You will regret it more than you did eavesdropping this summer.

"Whatcha got there?" exclaimed Sirius, startling James. Before he could do anything, the letter was in Sirius's hands.

Potter leaped up, trying to get it back, but Sirius dodged him.

"Give it back!" grunted James multiple times.

"Does James Fleamont Potter have a girlfriend?" Peter laughed. "Does Lily know that you're cheating on her?"

Sirius began to read out loud.

"Appoline Hollis Rosier," he started, smiling widely.

Remus's grin fell as Sirius paled considerably, his teasing mood gone in an instant. Black's hand shook slightly when he was done, and Remus snatched the dark parchment away next. Peter finished pouring over the elegant handwriting slightly after Lupin, looking up in horror.

"What the fuck," said Sirius, like it was a statement, not a question.

All four of them knew this was deeply private, something they should have never read. Remus was stuck on one phrase, the one about Theodore having control over Hollis. It made his blood turn hot, the image of his hand stamped on her thigh with bruises flash mercilessly through his mind.

What happened this summer so that she was punished so badly?

Without thinking, Remus tore up the letter and threw it into the fire. It crackled with its new fuel, consuming the cruel and threatening words in only a few seconds. 

If only, thought Remus. I could do the same with my god damn memory.

.。*゚+.*.。   ゚+..。*゚+