Chapter 45: I Haven't Seen Him in Six Years

Start from the beginning

"Well, I'm in Langley, and thought I might call."

"Oh cool! Do you wanna... ummm do you like... I mean, do you wanna meet... Coffee?"

"I think coffee is the last thing you need, Peter Maximoff. How about we go get dinner somewhere?"

"I know a place. Maybe meet at my house at 6:00."

"Alright."

"Cool. It's a date. No. I mean, it's uhhhh friends. We're friends hang-hanging out. We're-"

"I'll meet you there."

In three hours, after walking around D.C. for quite a while, I am at the Maximoff house. One of Peter's younger sisters is the first to spot me. She calls out to her mother saying that "Peter's girlfriend" is here. My face turns a darker shade of red than it should.

This is off to a wonderful start...

Ms. Maximoff is the one to answer the door. She obviously knows at this point that we were far from cops that came to her door six years previous—even if she doesn't know the entire story. Though, she grins at me as she answers the door. I assume that knowing my name is fairly respectable, I have two doctorates, and I'm only 24 might help her overlook that... minor incident.

I'm just glad she doesn't know about us breaking into the Pentagon yet.

"Hello, Elizabeth," she greets me.

"Good evening, Ms. Maximoff."

"Well, Peter is still downstairs dealing with his hair. He can't seem to do a thing with it today—or ever. Why don't you come inside while we wait for him?"

"Of course. Thank you."

She leads me inside, and we both sit at the kitchen table. Peter's youngest sister runs circles around us as we do until finally running into the other room to find her older sister. Ms. Maximoff looks at them and then looks back at me as if asking me if I also think she needs something a bit stronger than the cola she is currently sipping.

Why am I so sweaty? Why am I fidgeting so much? Why am I so nervous? It's just Peter. I wasn't nervous the first time I met him. Why am I so nervous now?

"You must feel like a teenager again," Ms. Maximoff states. "Waiting on a boy with his mother."

"A bit, yes," I tell her.

"One day I will get my son out of my basement... Maybe..."

"I'm sure he'll find his footing."

"Hopefully... until then, it appears I'll need a bit more than soda to deal with three kids."

"Understandable."

"Ok," I hear Peter start as he ascends the stairs

"Ok," I hear Peter start as he ascends the stairs. "I'm ready to-" He stops in the middle of his sentence at the same time that he comes to a halt. His eyes fall on me and remain there. "You... you... I uh... am underdressed."