Chapter 43: Gurzsky

Start from the beginning

We chat for about thirty minutes before we hear the door open once again. Magda smiles when the door shuts. Obviously, her husband must be home.

"Honey," she calls out. "We have a visitor."

"Who is..." a familiar voice but then comes to a quick halt when I see someone, who to me has been missing for almost six years, enter the room. "Elizabeth..."

"Henryk Gurzsky..." I say in almost disbelief, still trying to make sure his identity is secure.

"She knows."

"Alright." He walks over to me and embraces me. "Hi, Erik."

"I've missed you, little one."

He just holds me for some time

He just holds me for some time. Six years is a long time to not know where someone you love is. Many don't understand how either my father or I can forgive him for the many things he's done. I guess they can't understand seeing through a person's flaws to find who they truly are.

He releases me as Magda walks towards us. She leans against Erik, who puts his arm around her. Even though she stated this would all make sense when her husband got home, this has finally just clicked with me.

I am really slow today...

"How long?" I inquire with a wide smile that I can hide no longer.

"Five years now," Magda replies, her smile matching my own.

"Five years," I start in a sarcastic tone as I look at Erik with my eyebrows raised."You've been married five years and didn't tell any of us. I'm hurt."

He shakes his head and laughs a bit.

"I sent you a letter," Erik states, equally sarcastic. "Did you not get it?"

"Must've gotten lost in the mail."

"Well, I promise, had I not been so worried about every known authority on planet earth hunting me, I would've contacted you."

"I don't doubt it."

Though he fights it so fervently, his snickers cannot be contained. He bursts in chuckles once again. The whole room fills with laughter from each of us once again.

"I will leave you two alone for a little bit," Magda tells us before leaving the house to tend to something.

Erik and I sit back down on their sofa. Neither of us says anything for a while. It appears neither of us knows what to say. Silence seems to drape over us like a blanket until either one of us can find words to string together to even have a chance to sum up everything between us.

"I'm sorry," is all Erik whispers as he gently breaks the silence for only but a second. "I... What happened in D.C... the serum-"

"I know," reply at a volume no louder than his.