Team Picks

Yvonne's Pick: How to Write with Emotion

Blurb: (From the website) As writers, no matter what our goals are, there is something we should all strive to do: make our readers feel. Whether that feeling be hope, happiness, fear, or any number of other emotions, it can be achieved through masterful writing. That's how to write with emotion and make readers feel.

Why Recommended: As someone who struggles with writing emotion, I thought this was a great site to start with!

https://thewritepractice.com/how-to-write-with-emotion/#:~:text=When%20we%20write%20about%20something,same%20emotions%20in%20different%20ways.

com/how-to-write-with-emotion/#:~:text=When%20we%20write%20about%20something,same%20emotions%20in%20different%20ways

Sky's Pick: Character Development: How to Write Characters Your Readers Won't Forget by Reedsy

Blurb: This is a blog by Reedsy with tips on how to write captivating and eye-catching characters.

Why Recommended: I think Reedsy is one of the best blogs I've read before. They always have so many tips and tricks on tightening the craft of writing. They make a lot of great points about character development and list so many ways to make them pop!

https://blog.reedsy.com/character-development/

Naomi's Pick: How to self-edit your manuscript by Nadine Brandes

Blurb: This is a Youtube video by author Nadine Brandes that goes into depth about self-editing.

Why Recommended: When I edited The Root of Magic, I had never properly edited before, so I scoured the internet to try and find tips and tricks on how to do it. This video by Nadine Brandes is one of the best resources I found. It goes into depth about how she self-edits her own work and her approach worked incredibly well for me. Perhaps it'll work for you too!

Laila's Pick: The Mafia and His Angel by HumB01 

Blurb:

Alessio...

Cold. Ruthless. Killer. I am respected and feared by all.

I wasn't put on this earth to love or be loved. I was put here to wipe out every last member of the damn Abandonato mafia, to pay them back for my mother's death.

When I find a strange girl hiding, beaten, under my bed, I don't let her live out of compassion. She's a trinket, my plaything.

Ayla...

I thought Alessio was only one more man who wanted to use me, hurt me, and throw me away. I don't know what it is to trust anymore. I can't find my heart under the pain.

Alessio found it. He touched it, and brought it alive again.

But if he discovers just how dangerous I am to him...I'll lose my life.

Why Recommended:

Another mafia romance! The Mafia and His Angel is a trilogy about Alessio and Ayla, but it's also the beginning of a larger series of mafia romances that cover multiple characters. So even once you finish The Mafia and His Angel, you still see several of the characters in the other books in the series.

What I loved about this one is the development you see in the main female character, Ayla, throughout this trilogy. It follows the familiar trope in mafia romances of the meek, timid woman, but you see so much strength in her journey that many mafia romances fall flat on.

Alessio is a little harder to love, but once he finds his heart, he is willing to go through Hell and back for Ayla, and his devotion to her is out of this world.

A sample of this story is available on her Wattpad page, and the full books are available on Amazon!

Loutka's Pick: Finding Abby by Hinchwood 

Blurb:

A love letter inside the cover of a mixtape. A mysterious musician who drives a lime green Sandman van. A sweet guy with sandy blonde hair with the guts to tell a girl how he feels about her. A grainy video on YouTube of a band called The Disappointed. A diary filled with song lyrics and poems. A road-trip to the city to find a missing father.

When 17-year-old Jenna James finds a mixtape from 1992 with a love note to her mum written inside the cover it sets her on a journey into a past where grunge music and goth girls reigned. Who made the mixtape? Why did her mum hide it from her for all these years? Will music be the binding force that brings Jenna and her mum together? And will Jenna finally find out who her dad is? Or was Jenna's journey about something else entirely?

This is a heart-warming Young Adult novel set in a small Australian country town. It's about friendship, family, love, loss, and finding yourself. And it's about music and how it can force us apart or, when everything else seems lost, be the one thing that brings us together.

[Note: this story deals with adult themes around death, trauma, and sex]

Why Recommended: I remember starting this story a couple of months ago, and absolutely falling in love with a new setting (it takes place in Australia, not the U.S.), interesting characters, and of course, the music. Because music is a big part of this story, more specifically, old, 80's rock bands (I love rock). It was hands down beautiful. One of the best stories I ever put my time into binging on Wattpad with no regrets. It also made me cry at a certain point, which is VERY rare for a book to do, especially on Wattpad. I think this just might have been the very first Wattpad book that ever made me cry, actually. This book holds a special place in my heart, no doubt. And I wish it had way more recognition than it does now.

 And I wish it had way more recognition than it does now