Chapter 4 - the herd

"Hey!" Rick called to The Sanctuary as we get off our horses, I jump off the back of his.

I hear distant whispers as the main people walk out hands on hips, they seemed to hide some frustration but bit their tongues.

"We need to take some of the dried corn." Rick tries to put it nicely, holding his belt.
"Rick, not to come off rude but clearly we are starving here." The girl glared, "I'd recommended if you only came back with food."

Rick nods, "We negotiated with Hilltop. We need the dried dead corn to give to them, then we will come back with something for you, is that a plan?" Rick asks.

The group laughed, "By the time you come back, we might as well just be gone."

I snickered, "Excuse us?"

The girl stepped towards me, "I'd watch your tongue." She smiled.

Rick doesn't touch her, he steps in front of her, his body in front of me radiating heat and tension, "I'd watch your mouth. Why will you be gone?" He asks.

They sighed, the girl glared coldly, "because you clearly can't handle us, we're as good as dead if we stayed here. So we will leave if you don't bring the food here, and quick."

Rick shook his head, "We planned on pickin' the corn today and bringing it to hilltop tomorrow."
She steps towards him, clearly getting irritated, "So 3 days your tellin' me."

Rick nods, "By how today is goin' we'd be back when y'all are all asleep."
She cackled, "Take the dumb corn and come back with the food or were gone."

-

"We have the corn." I said to the microphone.
"Good." Maggie replied, "bring them to me tomorrow, I'll give you your supplies."

I nodded, "We planned it already." Rick says, "The sanctuary is loosing hope. We need this."

Maggie grunts behind the mic, "I had a feeling... hurry on over at dawn tomorrow. Give them their food pronto and then maybe, just maybe we could relax for a little." She explained, "How is the bridge goin rick?"

Rick visibly sighed next to me, "The bridge isn't coming so great. It's taken months and to no achievement have we finished it. It will take maybe another 2 months." He explained.

Maggie groaned, "Don't feel... rushed. That's not- we need it by winter, Rick. Winters too dangerous now to cross across the river."
Rick shook his head, "I know. I'll bring Daryl out with me tomorrow to check out a herd that coming over to hilltop." Rick says.

"Wait what?" I whispered to him, "you didn't tell me—"

Maggie interrupts, "that's kind of you, Rick. Be careful."
Rick nods, "I will. Daryl won't let anything happen to me nor will I him."

"Over and out."

I sighed heavily, "You didn't tell me you planned on putting yourself out there like that! You can die for goodness sakes!"

Rick paced, "Don't make this harder, Isabella."
I laughed, standing up, "Harder!? What?? You can die Rick Grimes! How many!?"

Rick shook his head, "... a hundred."

My face pales, "Rick, your kid will grow up not knowing their father!"
Rick throws his hands up, "I've done this before for godsakes! Stop worrying!"
I grabbed his collar and pulled it gently, "It's my job to worry!"

He paused, bowing his head in defeat on my shoulder, I hear his labored breaths against my skin. I rubbed my hand against his short hair, "I care because I can't loose you."

"I know." Rick nods.
"If you know why do you leave?" I cried, hugging him I wiped my tears with my hand.
"... because we can't loose anyone else."
"We can't loose you Rick Grimes. You make us equal." I sniffed, "We've lost a lot, I know. Lord, I know." I swayed as he held onto me, "But if we loose you, no one can lead us. We will burn."

He chuckled to himself, "You can lead them."
I paused, "no Rick you can't do this."
He dug his head into my shoulder more, "You can do it. You can lead them. You've been through a lot, it made you wiser than anyone I know. You can-"

I shoved off him, pushing on his chest he stumbled a little. "Rick stop it! God stop it! You won't die! You can-"

The door swung open, "What is going on!" Michonne yelled, "It's far past evening and you two were not home! You need to take care of your child!"

I wiped my tears as fast as possible, looking at Judith as she ran to me, I pick her up.

"Thanks Michonne." Rick nods stiffly.
"What's going on?" She asks.
"Nothing, it's all good now." I nodded, the pit in my stomach grew, looking at Rick.

"Well, if you two need a break. I can babysit anytime." Michonne nods, "Goodnight." She sighed to us.

"Night." Rick and I say.