v. curiosity killed the cat

Start from the beginning

"It's not, it's not," Polaris mumbles. "They're going to kill me if I don't— me or..." She swallows thickly. Andromeda reaches her, carefully wrapping an arm around Polaris' shoulders. She trembles under her grip, and Andromeda's brow creases with further worry.

"Let's get you warmed up, okay?"

Polaris hardly processes it as Andromeda guides her into the house, closing the door softly behind them. She sits Polaris down on the sofa, waving her wand so a fire ignites in the fireplace. Polaris stares vacantly into the flame, water oozing out of every pore of her clothing. Andromeda returns, two mugs in her hand, and sits down next to her.

"Drink this," Andromeda says. She waves her wand, and the water is sucked out of Polaris' dress. Polaris' shivering ceases slightly, though her teeth still clank against the mug as they chatter. "What's happened Pol?"

Polaris gulps, holding her mug firmly in her hands, the heat radiating off of it providing a sense of comfort. She opens her mouth, trying to find the right thing to say, but no words leave her lips.

"Andy, it's the middle of the bloody night." Ted Tonks pushes open the door to the living room, mid yawn. "Come back to—" His eyes widen as he sees Polaris, blinking a few times.

"I'll be up in a bit Ted," Andromeda says. "Can you make sure Dora hasn't woken up?"

Polaris suddenly bursts into tears, great gulping sobs that shake her whole body. Andromeda stares at her in alarm, not used to this amount of emotion from her, or any of the Black's. She wraps her arms around her youngest sister, stroking her hair softly.

"It's okay Pol, you're okay," she soothes. "I've got you."

Polaris only sobs harder, and Andromeda holds her until her tears subside, hiccups the only remainder.

"I'm sorry," Polaris murmurs.

"Here," Ted says, handing her a tissue. "It's okay."

"Do you want to tell us what happened?"

Polaris bites her lip, scrunching the tissue up in her fist. Andromeda goes to put a hand on her arm, her left arm, and she flinches away. A look of sad realisation dawns on Andromeda's face, the colour draining from it.

"Let me see it," she says softly.

"I'm sorry," Polaris whispers, her voice shaking as every word leaves her lip. "I didn't— I don't, want to do this Andy, you know me."

"I know." Andromeda nods reassuringly. "I know."

More tears threaten to spill from Polaris' stormy eyes, and she runs a hand through her tangled hair. Andromeda notices the shake in her hands, something not from the cold, and the way she grimaces as she moves.

"They cursed you," she concludes. "Again."

Polaris looks down, folding her hands against each other. Her fingers won't settle, fidgeting about of their own accord.

"Show me it," Andromeda says, her tone softening once more. "Just to make sure it won't get infected."

Polaris slowly rolls up the sleeve of her dress, and Ted sucks in a breath. The snake and skull twist their way up Polaris' forearm, tainting her with darkness.

"Oh Pol." Andromeda throws her arms around her.

"You can throw me out now," Polaris murmurs. "You've seen it, you can kick me out."