Eleanor's Room

Eleanor woke up and tilted her head. She saw that it was already noon. How many hours did she sleep? She sat down with her messy hair. She felt drowsy and saw a person sitting beside her bed. She squinted her eyes. 

"You're already awake". The voice struck Eleanor like lightning. She finger-combed her hair and held onto her blanket tightly. She's still wearing her nightgown. "Your Highness, what brought you here?", she coughed. "Liam told me to visit you. He reminded me of the time you also stayed by my side when I was sick", Xylan answered. Eleanor coughed and covered her mouth. "You'll catch my illness as well", she was worried. "Just take this as my way to have an excuse of leaving the Palace for a while. Lady Aileen told me that you were crying a lot because you will no longer see Gilbert as often as before ", Xylan closed the book he was reading. It wasn't a book. Eleanor noticed. It was the diary. Eleanor took it in an instant. She didn't even dare to read the rest but it seemed that Xylan read everything. 

"I dropped something and saw a box below the bed", Xylan explained. "I have nothing to do with this", Eleanor said nervously. Xylan nodded as if he believed her right away. He held onto her forehead and felt that her fever had gone down. "Lady here is your food", Saphira knocked. "Greetings, Your Highness", Saphira bowed very low. Xylan just nodded and took the tray from Saphira. "I'll take it from here", Xylan assured. Saphira was startled but understood so she closed the door. Xylan took a spoonful of porridge and raised it in Eleanor's mouth. "I can eat on my own", Eleanor felt embarrassed. Xylan didn't lower the spoon. Eleanor cleared her throat and ate it. She finished the food without them talking. "I missed the meeting with the Council. Fineil will shout at me again", Eleanor sighed. 

"Must be tough working in the council and my office", Xylan placed the tray on a nearby table. The door flung open. Claudia panted carrying a bouquet. She flinched to see Xylan. "I apologize for barging right away", Claudia bowed. 

"I told you she's still alive

"I told you she's still alive. There's no way that a weed would die easily", they heard Aileen's voice. The lady also bowed as soon as she saw the Crown Prince. "I'm done here. Make sure to keep your body healthy", Xylan stood up and looked at Eleanor. "Yes. Thank you for coming, Your Highness", Eleanor bowed her head. Xylan passed by and Aileen gave him a long look. "I will guide His Highness out", Aileen saw Eleanor preparing to leave the bed. 

Corridor

"Look at these walls. They stood still even in the test of time", Xylan finally talked. "Your Highness. About you removing me from the candidates of being the Empress-", Aileen was cut by Xylan. "You don't love me, Lady Aileen. You wouldn't call me by my name either", Xylan said without hesitation. "You know what kind of person the Emperor needs, right?", Xylan stopped walking as they reached the portrait of a young Eleanor. "It's not about the romance. Father and Mother didn't have mutual love but Father had someone who would always be by his side. Even if she wasn't a lover to him, he found himself a friend", Xylan seemed painting the view of Eleanor's portrait in his mind.