Chapter 189: The Demon King II

Start from the beginning

He bends over and offers me his hand. "I'll show you."

Much like before, I hesitate to grab a hold of him. But I know in my heart, he isn't someone I need to be fearful of despite that he is single handedly one of the most powerful being in the three realms. I reach my hand out,. and he pulls me up. 

Leading to the iron door down the hall, he doesn't stall when the doors start to open with a loud screech. Up the stone stairs, I can't see anything ahead. The blue light flickering from the torches only allow a little bit of relief in the dark. Uneasy, I tighten my grip around Yang Zi Huo's hand. 

Reaching the top of the stairs, a rattling friction of stone walls vibrate in front. Natural light finally emits through. Walking forward, Yang Zi Huo is confident in the steps he take.

We walk into a dignified study. The ceiling is arched and high with a second level filled with rows of bookshelves. It is overwhelmingly grand and filled with things beyond the necessities of a scholar. The wall behind closes, and I see that the path we came from is now blocked with a towering bookshelf. 

"This is my study within Azure Aurora Palace," Yang Zi Huo tells me.

Azure Aurora... I finally have seen the Demon King's lair with my own eyes. Never did I think I would one day witness such a thing. Yang Zi Huo... from what I gathered, was always a leader. Even through all the heartbreak and hardships of his mortal lives, he always strived to do good for people and have now ascended to his title of a Demon Ruler. 

Pulling me forward, we move up the stairs to the second floor. Passing by the essentially endless lines of shelves, Yang Zi Huo pushes a pair wooden doors open to a lavish balcony. We are instantly greeted by the rose-colored sky. In the far distance, the sun is setting behind a city of aureate glow. I have always assumed the Demon Realm was suffocated in darkness and gloom. The widespread rumors and bigotry against the Demon Realm have always been commonplace, especially among those who have never stepped foot in the realm. 

"It's beautiful," I let out an exhale of bewilderment. My eyes move through the scenery, completely absorbed by the brilliance and tranquility. 

"It took hundreds of years to rebuild this ancient city. It has now been renamed Endless Twilight."

I turn to watch Yang Zi Huo proudly look at the city. The demons living here, I wonder how they feel about all this reform. Are they at peace and content? Do they have conflict in their hearts about their new king?

The whispers around the Demon King in the Underworld mentions that he was born ten-thousand years ago, deep in the vault of buried Demon Lords. His overwhelming god-like powers, enriched by demon ancestors, made him undefeatable. He was able to instill fear in the three realms.

Yang Zi Huo guides me through the palace, briefly pointing out the different buildings and secluded quarters. Our stroll is interrupted with his stalled pace. In between two colossal concrete walls, I sneak a look inside an exquisite courtyard. A small waterfall glides into a pond with a stream leading to the back of the massive building. The gray roof tiles covers the top of the cerulean foundation. 

"This... is my quarters," Yang Zi Huo shyly admits. "Once you are... more comfortable, you can share this residence with me. But I can prepare a different living quarters in the meantime for you."

My chest suddenly feels heavy, and my face starts to feel like it is burning. Although unopposed to his proposal, I still wanted some time to adapt to this new situation and can only nod in return.

Inside the Azure Aurora main hall, Yang Zi Huo sits me down next to him as servants dressed in sky-blue uniforms bring out freshly cooked dishes one after another. My mouth drops in awe. 

Is he expecting me to eat all of this?

"Help yourself, Yuxing. These are all of your favorite dishes." 

"Ah... Yes." Picking up the chopsticks, I don't know where to start. Placing a piece of stir-fried bamboo shoot in my mouth, I take a moment to savour the sour taste. 

Delicious! It's been fermented. 

Silently eating, I can feel Yang Zi Huo's stare. I clear my throat and ask, "Your highness, I am worried that you will face dire consequences for breaking into the Underworld."

"You needn't worry about that." He raises a hand to stop me. "As the Demon King... My mere existence is already the most incriminating offense. There's nothing more they can add to my list of crimes."

They... He means the Heaven Realm.

"I see. Well, what about my presence? Right now, I am a mortal being. How long can I last here?"

How long can I stay by your side?

He smiles as the look in his eyes reflected a reassuring warmth. "It will be difficult, but we have solutions we can try. For instance, cultivation. You will be able to attain Immortal Status with the help of Essence Pills and dedication to cultivating. I can help you."

"But you weren't really a patient teacher..." I mumble quietly. Yang Zi Huo chuckles and shakes his head.

"I promise you, I'll be the most patient teacher this time around."

Ten-thousand years passed by with us leading different lives. I wonder why our paths crossed once again, and we were able to hold onto one another against the pull of fate? Little by little, the walls around my heart is crumbling like the icy layer of a lake melting by the embrace of budding spring. I'm thankful Yang Zi Huo came to find me because I finally realized what I had been missing out on all this time, a life shared with the person I love.