44

Third Person POV

Something was wrong with Caleb.

Ethan noticed it as soon as they reached the airport after their long flight back home. Even on the plane, he'd started to notice some things that seemed off about his brother.

He'd say something, and Caleb's reaction time would be longer than usual. Ethan would call his name a few times, and only then would his brother realize that he was speaking. Caleb would blink, stare at Ethan for a few seconds as if he was remembering that he was still there, and then answer.

He sounded exhausted every time he spoke.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Ethan asked quietly as Alastair pulled into the driveway of their house. All the lights were on, and Ethan noticed multiple cars in the driveway.

Caleb nodded. Even the small gesture seemed like it took every ounce of energy he could muster. "Just tired," Caleb murmured, his voice hoarse and Ethan frowned as he watched him rest his head against the window, letting his eyes close even though he should've been getting out.

Alastair didn't bother saying anything to either of them as he stepped out of the car and made a beeline towards the house, leaving them behind. He'd seemed stressed the entire ride back, constantly checking his phone for calls.

"You barely did anything today," Ethan pressed, and it was the truth. All they'd done was get on a flight as soon as they found out the news, and they'd just gotten back home.

Caleb's eyes snapped open. "So? I can't be tired?" He snapped and Ethan's eyebrows raised at the new attitude.

"Did I say that?" He asked dryly and Caleb scoffed, his head hitting the window again as he closed his eyes. "You just gonna sit here all day? We're home."

He got no response. Caleb was so still, the only way Ethan could tell he was breathing was from the shallow movement of his chest. His eyes drifted back up to his face and for the first time, he noticed the dark circles that seemed prominent even with his eyes closed.

Ethan frowned and opened the passenger side door, stepping out. He walked around the car to the back seat and whipped open Caleb's door without a warning.

Caleb startled, his eyes flying open as he barely caught himself from tumbling out of the car in time.

His eyes found Ethan's and he glared. "What the fuck was that for?"

"We're home," Ethan replied flatly, studying his brother intently. He watched as Caleb slowly scanned his surroundings, and the realization that they were finally home hit him for the first time.

Ethan backed up a step as Caleb finally pushed himself out of the car, his movements slow and sluggish. Something looked like it was weighing him down, and Ethan caught the almost imperceptible wince on his younger brother's face as he started walking.

"Dude," Ethan began, starting to feel a little alarmed. "Seriously, what's up with you?"

Caleb rolled his eyes and pushed past Ethan to move towards the house. Ethan stared after his retreating form, visibly surprised at the new behavior, before he followed.

"Caleb," he pressed, his brows furrowing in concern as he watched Caleb pause before the front steps. He seemed to hesitate before he started treading up them.

Ethan stayed at the bottom, and he didn't fail to notice how Caleb's hand shot up at one point to grip the railing, as if he was steadying himself before he fell.

Ethan jerked forward in worry, but stopped when Caleb found his balance. He only hesitated another second on the steps, before he disappeared into the house. Something inside Ethan twisted in slight fear because he'd been noticing these things for a while now, but they seemed to be more detectable as days went on.