Chapter 7. Aubrey And Lydia

"Aubrey," Lydia says as she enters the kitchen.

"Hey, Lydia. Wait, why aren't you at work?" I question her.

"Remember, my vacation starts today? No work for two weeks," she reminds me as she pours herself some coffee.

"Oh yes, I remember now."

"You look like hell, Aubrey."

"Thank you. I guess I look as bad as I feel," I snap.

"I'm sorry. Cruz better get his damn priorities together. I hope he plans to come home."

"He is. Do you think I overreacted, Lydia? I mean, we do have a child to support and so many damn bills. Part of me understands why he needs to work so much, but damn, Braylee and I barely see him anymore."

"Aubrey, I get Cruz needs to work and support his family and I respect any man who wants to take care of his family, but when he makes his job his number one priority and he's at work more than he's with his family, that's when it becomes clear something needs to change.

"I completely agree with you, Lydia. I absolutely hate the place Cruz and I are in right now. This is really our first major fight. He promised once he's back home he will slow down at work and spend more time at home with me and Braylee," I sigh, wanting to believe him.

"Can't blame you for wanting him home a lot more with you and Braylee, Aubrey. I was right there with both of you during the worst time of your lives. I'll always remember how hard the two of you tried to have a child, and I also remember the devastation that soon followed after you gave birth to your beautiful daughter."

"You know I really thought that I had put that behind me, Lydia, but seeing how quickly Braylee is growing and how much I love being a mother, I wish I could have another child. Remember how much I loved being pregnant? Who knew as soon as Braylee was born they would have to rush me to surgery because I couldn't stop hemorrhaging?"

"I remember how terrified I was. I know you would love to have another child, Aubrey, and I wished you could, but the selfish part of me is so grateful you're still alive and we didn't lose you."

"Me too. I guess Cruz and I could think about adopting, but only if he is home more. Changes need to be made."

"They will be. I promise you that, Aubrey. I will make all the necessary changes to keep from losing you," Lydia and I snap our heads around to see him standing by the kitchen entrance.

"Cruz, I didn't think you would be home until tomorrow."

"I gave my apologies, called Ken, and told him he needs to get to New York and have the meeting. I left as soon as he arrived," he says and I run over to him throwing my arms around him."

"I love you so much, Cruz," I feel his arms tightening around me and his lips on my neck.

"And I love you and Braylee more than anything in this world, Aubrey. I promise I will allow no one, including myself, to destroy what we have. My promise to you, to our daughter, I will do whatever I need to do to ensure our happiness and keep us together."

"I can't believe you just walked away from that meeting, Cruz,"

"I would do anything for you, Aubrey."

"Are you willing to have a long overdue talk and make some changes when it comes to your job, Cruz and stick to the changes?"

"Yes. I am willing to do whatever I need to do to keep my family together, Aubrey. I don't ever want to lose you. I know I screwed up and I am so sorry. I truly want to make our marriage work and I will make you and our daughter my number one priority from now on. My job will never come before my family from now on.

"I'm so happy to hear that, Cruz."

"Aubrey, where is Braylee?"

"Oh, I took her to my sister's house. She wanted to spend the day with my niece, Emily," Lydia informs him.

"Oh, okay. When will she be home?"

"I can go pick her up and give you two some time alone."

"That would be great, Lydia. I know we have a lot to talk about, Aubrey. And it will involve me repeating how sorry I am," I lift myself up and gently press my lips on his. His arms wrap around embracing me.

"I know you're sorry, Cruz. I am also sorry. I never want us back in this horrible place."

"We won't be, I promise you we will never find ourselves in this place again. I plan on working from home as much as I possibly can. From now on, whatever meetings are scheduled, Ken will have to go to them. He can go to the out of town meetings, I'll will go to the local meetings.

"Sounds like you did a lot of thinking on your way back home. Cruz. I know how important your job is to you, and I'm not asking you to give it up, I just need you to work a little less and be home a little more," I whisper. His hands grip my hips, pulling me closer to him.

"I know I must prove to you and Braylee how serious I am about making these changes, and I will. Nothing will ever come before my family ever again, Aubrey."

"It's nice to hear you say that, Cruz. I believe you and I trust you will honor your promise to our family. I'm just so happy we have nothing else to worry about," I say as I make my way towards to fridge.

"Um, yeah. There is nothing else for us to worry about," his crackling voice tries to sound convincing.

"Cruz, there is nothing else for us to be concerned about, right?"

"No, Aubrey. We have nothing else to to worry about," he leans down and wraps his arms around me.

"Well, that's nice to know. I'll be right back. I bought you a gift, Cruz."

"What? Aubrey, you did not have to get me a gift."

"It's just a little something. Wait here." I already know you're going to love your gift."

"O-okay, Aubrey," I stammer out the words feeling like a complete backstabbing jackass.

"Be right back."