Gone (part 2)

Isabelle

***

Isabelle walked until she couldn't feel her hands or feet anymore. The cold was so bitter that it brought tears to her eyes, but she was afraid they would freeze to her face if she let them fall. 

She had never- not even after her father's funeral- felt so alone. Never. 

She walked until she couldn't physically walk anymore.

She stopped and looked around, trying in vain to recognize something, anything. All she saw was dead trees. Snow. Grey, eerie skies. 

The sound of a rapidly approaching carriage had Isabelle almost crying with relief. She waved her arms over her head until the driver saw her.

The carriage was a fine one. It was sleek and modern, black with clean, pretty wheels. A thick cover and thick curtains hid the riders from view.

The driver hopped off of the horse and rushed to Isabelle, grabbing her arm. "Mademoiselle, are you alright?"

She nodded, her teeth chattering. "I-I-I n-need a r-ride," she stuttered.

The curtains opened and a vaguely aristocratic man stuck his head out of the carriage.

"Jean, make haste and get this woman in the carriage!"

Isabelle was rushed into the carriage. It wasn't warm, but the temperature change was drastic. The man put his coat on her and covered her with a thick blanket. He held her hands in his and rubbed them vigorously, attempting to warm her up.

"What is your name?" he asked.

"Isab-belle B-baud-din," she stammered.

He froze. "Baudin?"

"Yes."

She shivered violently and he rubbed her arms. "Your father...I am so sorry. He was an amazing man. You probalby don't remember me, but he took me in when I was a boy, until I was adopted by an aristocrat."

"Jacques?" she asked, shocked.

She remembered Jacques. He was orphaned when he was eight years old. Isabelle, only two when he stayed for a year, had completely forgotten about him. She remembered him now, though: he played with her, watched her while her mother tended to the house, and picked roses for her when her mother wasn't watching. Seeing him now was a pleasant surprise- unexpected, but welcome amidst the chaos that was her life.

He smiled. "Isabelle. My, how you've grown."

She smiled shyly. "You t-too."

He crossed to her side of the carriage and put his arm around her. Her cheeks flamed at the contact, but she told herself he was only helping her get warm. Any respectable gentleman would do the same.

"What, may I ask, were you doing?"

"I..." she tried to think of an excuse, but failed. 'I was leaving."

"Elaborate, please."

And so Isabelle spilled everything to Jacques. Something told her she could trust him. And, besides, she was hurting and needed to let it all out to someone.

"And now I have nowhere to go," she finished, burying her face in her hands.

Jacques was silent, taking the information all in. His hand rubbed reassuring circles on her back.

"Isabelle?" he asked.

She lifted her head.

"Would it be very improper of me to ask you to stay at my estate?"

Her mouth dropped open. "Oh, Jacques, I couldn't-"

"Nonsense! You are a dear friend whom I haven't seen in ages. I could never repay your family for their kindness. Let me make a start."

She shook her head. "I-"

"I am a bachelor. I have no family at my house, and I have far too much money. My house is lonely and far too big. Come stay with me for a short while. Leave whenever we can get you set up somewhere else."

She looked into his eyes. They were sincere, no hidden meaning in them or in his voice. She finally sighed and nodded her head, agreeing.

It felt wrong, like she was betraying Louis, but what else could she possibly do? She didn't own her  father's house anymore- she'd sold it when she moved in with Louis.

And...Louis didn't love her, anyway. 

He smiled. 

"It's a good thing we're almost there."

***

Louis

***

Louis came in the house after sitting for hours by the lake, replaying yesterday's fun with Isabelle in his mind. He could still hear her laugh, could almost picture her there with him, smiling and playing and making him fall even deeper in love with her.

He went inside when he couldn't feel his fingers anymore. He went right to the study and sat in front of the fire like he had done with her. 

He looked at the floor next to him, where everything had been so perfect, so wonderful...then so horrible. 

He abruptly stood and left the room.

He couldn't take it. 

Isabelle was really gone. After all they'd been through, he would never see her again.

The thought sent a pang through his chest. He put a hand to his mouth, sinking down to the floor. He leaned against the wall and cried for the first time since his childhood.