Chapter 62

Jack left Madras immediately after Leviathan was destroyed. He figured he did his part. He wasn't one for goodbyes; besides, he was a wanted vampire. He thought it was a good idea to 'get while the gettin's good', as he told himself. He told himself that this was his opportunity to start over. Of course, starting over needs cash, and Jack knew where he could get some. The darkness that covered the sky was starting to lift as Jack fled town, so he was able to make some distance. However, the sunlight soon burst through the evil cloud and soon the high desert was awash in sunlight. This sapped Jack's powers and he had to slow down. Conveniently, just outside Terrebonne, he chanced upon an old pickup truck, abandoned along the highway, its former owner a victim, most likely, of Baalseth's 'pure' vampires. The truck was in drivable condition and even had its keys in the ignition; the interior was covered in blood, which Jack didn't seem to mind. Jack was able to suck some out of a shaggy seat cover, but most of it was already dry. He then drove to Smith Rock, got out, and walked right over to the object of his quest, the Spear of Destiny.

"This ought to catch me a pretty penny on the supernatural black market," Jack said to himself, "enough to set me up for a few years, anyway." He put his hands on the shaft, but his hands were burned. "Ouch! Shit, I forgot. Holy weapon. Okay, then. There's more than one way to skin a cat."

Jack took off his jacket and wrapped it around the shaft of the Spear, allowing him to carry it. He tossed it in the bed of the pickup truck and began to drive away. He paused briefly and noticed the body of Kevin Ellis. They did not have time to bury him, so his headless corpse remained near the bank of the river. "Ah, hell, stop it, Jack. You didn't know the guy. Still, it ain't right for a fellow to be lying out there like that. Oh hell, Jack, they'll be coming for him, which means you got to leave now. Besides, it ain't none of my business."

Jack shifted the pickup into first gear, then began to pull away from Smith Rock.

*

"Okay," Grace said to Kitty, "you heard the man. You're in charge now."

"Wow," Kitty said, "I guess so. I'm not ready for this."

"Well, you better get ready for it, because here it is."

"Dude," Bernie said to the small woman in his arms, "you can do it. I believe in you, Kitty."

"Oh, I love you, Bernie!"

"I love you too, dude!"

"Oh, God," Gaylord said, "only a Sasquatch can screw up a perfectly good romantic moment!"

"Well, I'm sorry he doesn't measure up, dad!" Kitty huffed.

"Relax, sweetheart. I was kidding!"

"Oh," Bernie said, "so, we're good?"

"Yes, Bernie, we are good. You make my daughter happy. That's more than I've ever been able to do. You have my blessing. In fact, I'm wondering when you'll make an honest woman of her!"

"Don't need to! She's plenty honest!"

"He means marriage, Bernie," Kitty said.

"Wow, for real? You and me?"

"Who else?"

"Dude, that's so cool!"

"All right, all right," Elizabeth said, "you're making the rest of us sick."

"Oh really?" Dawn said, "you're that afraid of emotion? Really? You know, I seem to think I saw some tears in your eyes a few minutes ago, Elizabeth."