Chapter 47

Baalseth, still in his human guise, stood in the middle of the pyramid's bloody chapel, surrounded by his vampire followers. Malheur approached his master. "My lord," he said, "I just got off the phone with Thunor. They have our enemies surrounded and are ready to attack."

"Then, by all means, tell them to attack," Baalseth said. "But remind them that I want that traitor Jack alive. I have some imaginative tortures in mind for him."

"And what about Campbell? I want to kill him myself."

Baalseth sighed. "What did I tell you, Malheur? I need Campbell to draw Malek in. After I have Malek, then you may kill Campbell."

"My apologies, sire. And what about his wife?"

"By all that is unholy, you are annoying. Do you want Dawn Campbell, Malheur? Because I'd totally give her to you."

"No, I'm good."

"Then she can die. So? Get to it! Oh, and you may not wish to be in this chamber when I do what must come next."

"You are ready to perfect your children?"

"I am. Well? Get moving!"

Malheur bowed. "Yes, my liege!"

Malheur rushed from the chamber as Baalseth raised his arms toward the heavens. "My children! I promised you power and glory and honor! I promised you a better world, a world unpolluted by the sins of man! No more will man cause suffering to other men. No more will man destroy the natural beauty of this world. No more, I say! And now, this shall be my promise to you fulfilled!"

Baalseth then looked toward the ceiling of the chapel. A broad shaft of energy came from the skies and struck him in the head. This bolt then illuminated his entire body and started radiating out from him. The vampires stared at the spectacle, as the mystical energy started wafting through the room, like smoky tendrils. A vampire stared at one of the tendrils, which then grabbed him. More tendrils attacked other vampires. Soon, the entire room was consumed by dark mystical energy. Then, Baalseth brought his hands together in a thunderous clap and the energy left the room. The vampires fell upon the floor. When they awoke, their humanity was gone, not only in terms of their former personalities, nor in any philosophical, spiritual, or metaphysical sense of the word, but their physical appearance was altered as well – their skin was now a mottled gray, despite their previous racial or ethnic origins. Their fingers were long and claw-like. Their ears were long and pointed. Their hair was long and black. Their eyes were black, much as a more human vampire's would be when he went into 'feeding mode', but they remained black. Likewise, their fangs remained permanent as well. Baalseth smiled.

"Oh, my children, my beautiful children! Now, you are perfected! Now, you are ready to rule over mankind! Where is the creature formerly known as Beatrice Bernard?" One of the vampires, obviously a female due to her gray, sagging breasts, stood. "Oh, my sweet, sweet Beatrice. I have cured you of illness, and now I have cured you of a more pernicious disease, that being your humanity. You stated a desire to fly. Very well. You shall fly!"

Beatrice held out her arms. Leathery flaps descended from them and formed wings. "Ah, but before you take flight, I must assure you of your safety. You are now creatures of the night. I must ensure that night will take hold and cover the world. From here, from this small corner of the land called Oregon, I will send out darkness upon the world. As it grows, so shall our strength. As the darkness consumes this world, so you shall consume the lives of men! And women. I'm sorry, I've been using the term 'man' to describe 'humanity'. Rather sexist of me, I'm afraid. My apologies. Oh well. Nobody is going to be worried about political correctness anymore anyway, because they will all be dead!" Once more, Baalseth looked toward the sky. He opened his mouth and a black mist rose from it. The black mist headed up toward the ceiling, then out the vents at the top of the pyramid. There, it thickened as it rose into the still-dark early morning sky.