Chapter 51

Baalseth and his vampire minions had no need of roads. They went directly south, then southeast, through the high desert terrain. During their journey, they came upon a couple ranches which the vampires ransacked, killing livestock and people. As Baalseth was held suspended by a winged vampire, he addressed his undead army: "My children, as vampires, you cannot enter homes owned by mortals unless they invite you in. I shall relieve you of that burden. I grant you the authority to enter any house, any home, any apartment, without the asking. All you see before you is now yours. Leave none alive!"

"You have that authority?" Malheur, also held by a flying vampire, asked.

"I claim that authority. Soon, all authority on earth and in the heavens shall be mine!"

"Oh, yes, my lord, I feel it. I have foreseen it!"

"No, you haven't."

"Of course I have! I have had visions of this great day, the day when the world of man shall fall before me -- uh, I mean, you -- and you shall be glorified!"

"You are right. Me. I shall be glorified."

"That's what I meant, your worship. You."

"Right. Let us continue on! The Rock is miles away yet, and I shall have my victory this day!"

They continued on their course, cutting a path of death and destruction through ranches and small communities, eventually coming to highway 97 and following it south, taking their time to lay waste to the city of Madras. Most mortals they encountered were killed outright; a very few surrendered and agreed to submit to their new god, Baalseth. These were turned and added to the army of the undead.

*

"Radio traffic is spotty," the helicopter pilot said to Zed, "but from what I can understand, the creatures are headed south on 97. The state is activating the National Guard. They've got units mobilizing in Bend, Redmond, The Dalles, and Pendleton."

"They probably won't make it in time," Zed replied.

"Or at all," Jeremiah said. "Even if they did, there would be nothing they could do. Their weapons will be useless against Baalseth, if he reaches his full potential."

"Well, then, we gotta make sure he doesn't, don't we?"

The Bell 222's came over Smith Rock, then started their descent, landing in the bivouac area. The team began unloading from the helicopters. Emmett walked alongside Bernie. "You know, Bernie," Emmett said, "I love you like my own son, but couldn't you have warned me before you upchucked right next to me?"

"Sorry, dude," Bernie said, "I forgot I get airsick."

They gathered around Jeremiah, who brought up a map of the area on his cellphone. "We have arrived before Baalseth and his minions," he said. "He needs to ascend the heights of Smith Rock in order to maximize the effects of the ley lines below."

"What happens if he gets to the top of Smith Rock?" Tim asked.

"Then he will gain all the powers of a demon god. He will become unstoppable."

"Oh, great."

"Wait," Grace said, "we're on the south side of Smith Rock, right? Doesn't it make sense that they'll attack from the north?"

"Grace has a point," Kitty said, "one of us could take one of Zed's choppers, and be, like, combat control. They could call out the vampire army's movements."