Chapter 3 - First Days of Despair (Part 1)

3rd Person POV

The air hung heavy on the group, pressing down on their backs. But however heavy it was, it was pierced by Y/N's words.

"Well what are we gonna do now?! Just stand around like a bunch of wet lemons?"

"Y/N is right. We can't just stand and glare at each other! Sometimes, even if you're nervous or afraid you just have to step forward. To forget such a simple fact... I can't forgive myself! Please, someone hit me! Punish me!" Taka shouted.

"By Lucifer, he sounds like a masochist. I was not expecting to hear those words from a moral compass like him." Belial thought.

"Jesus, if you've got time to yell about it, then you've got time to fuckin' DO something!" Mondo said.

"Perhaps, but uhhhh... what is the mission exactly?" Hiro asked, scratching his head.

"To look for a way out, dumbass! Doy!" Leon said.

"But b-before we do any of that, m-maybe we should take a look at the handbook? It's probably best to check out the regulations Monokuma before doing anything else." Chihiro suggested.

"That is true. If we stumble around with no clue, something like that might happen again." Celeste said.

"Fine. Then let's hurry up and check out these stupid rules already." Junko huffed.

After turning on his E-Handbook, Y/N's name showed up front and centre. Then, an itemised list appeared on-screen. It was the school regulations. In other words, the school rules. The 6 rules were as follows:

1. Students may only reside within the school. Leaving campus is an unacceptable waste of time.

2. The 'night time' period lasts between 10pm and 7am. Some areas of the school are off-limits at night time, so please exercise caution.

3. Sleeping anywhere other than the dormitory will be seen as sleeping in class, and will be punished accordingly.

4. With minimal restrictions, you are free to explore Hope's Peak Academy at your own discretion.

5. Violence against Headmaster Monokuma is strictly prohibited, as is the destruction of one or more surveillance cameras.

6. Anyone who murders a fellow student and becomes 'the blackened' will graduate, unless they are discovered.

It also mentioned how additional regulations may be added over time.

"Wow that bear sure is taking this whole killing game seriously. This will be entertaining." Belial thought with a dark chuckle.

"What?! This isn't a game! This maybe a game to you, but isn't to me, and it probably-no, certainly isn't for the others!" Y/N thought.

"Even that gambler you've been blushing over? She is the Ultimate Gambler after all, so she may think that this is a game of life or death, just like me." Belial thought.

"S-shut up you! I-I know that she doesn't. In fact, I'm sure of it! You'll see soon enough." Y/N thought, with a light blush emerging on his cheeks.

"Well this is all a bunch of bullshit! What kinda rules are these?!" Owada shouted.

"Well then, why don't you wander around the school without a care in the world? Personally, I would love to see what someone breaks one of the rules." Celeste pondered.

"As would I." Belial thought.

"Well, ever since I was a kid, my older brother pounded something into my head. When a man makes a promise, he has to keep it, even if it kills him."