Chapter One

"Shay. I love you and stay safe for me." Daddy breathed out as he held my hand tightly while I tried to control my sobs. "Don't go, Daddy." I whimper while tightening my grip on his cooling hand. "Mama's going to protect you. She promised me, and she never lets me down." Daddy stated as he gently and weakly pulled me into our last hug, kissing my forehead lovingly. "I love you, Shay. Forever and always." He breathed out before he laid back, closing his, going to sleep. A loud beeping came from the machine by his bed as my tears continued to fall. "I love you, too, Daddy. Forever and always." I mumbled, kissing his forehead as a small group of nurses came rushing in...
I sat up with a start. My sobs shaking my body as I remember my father's death. "She broke her promise, Daddy." I mumbled into my dark bedroom, as I allowed my tears to fall as an image of my new 'family' crossed my mind. I sighed knowing that it's going to take me longer now to fall back to sleep, as my mind wandered to the memory my step brother, Dylan has given me most recently. I pulled my blanket closer as I turned over onto my side trying to clear my mind of everything.
Twenty minutes have passed and I haven't been able to quiet my racing thoughts. I slowly and quietly slipped out of my bed before pulling my long, messy dark brown hair into a ponytail. I quickly pulled on my grey baggy sweatshirt and a pair of sweatpants before slipping my phone and headphones into the front pocket. Quietly, I made my way downstairs before slipping on some flip flops. I quickly slipped into the cool night air, before making my way down the sidewalk, setting up my music in my ears, allowing, Three Days Grace to quiet all my scarred thoughts. I slipped into the cemetery, just wanting to be with my Daddy. I sat down on the damp grass, leaning against the cool tombstone of my father. "Oh, Daddy. She didn't keep her promise. He did it again. He touched me and forced me to touch him. I want this to all be over. I hate them. I hate Zach and Dylan, Daddy. But in two more months, I'm free. I love mom but I can't stay here anymore. There's too much pain and suffering for my poor heart, body, soul and mind to handle. I wish you were still here, Daddy." I whispered as I looked up and the night sky, trying to gain control of my tears. Sighed, knowing I'd have to leave soon. But had to let it out right now. "Zach beat me with a bat the other day because Dylan wasn't happy about my locked door. I had to take care of myself. I don't know how I'm going to survive the next two months but I got to." I told the air, hoping my dad was listening before I stood up and replaced the silence in the night air with Falling In Reverse. I began to make my way back to the hell hole I have to call home.
I quietly made my way back into my room before dropping my pants and sweatshirt into my laundry basket after making sure my door is locked. I softly climbed back into bed , feeling the pain in my ribs begin to come back slowly as the painkillers began to wear off. I shifted to lay on my back, facing the ceiling as I felt sleep yank me under its black blanket of subconsciousness.

I woke up to a burning pain in my side as I shifted. I bolted to sit up but that only caused me to fall out of my bed, taking my blanket with me as the pain grew sharper. I bite my lip to muffle my scream of pain. I felt the tears streaming down my cheek as I forced myself to take the pain and stand up to go take my painkillers in my bathroom. I slowly moved over to the bathroom, abandoning my blankets on my floor, holding my side as the pain ate at my mind, trying to pull me under. I opened my drawer under my sink and quickly opened the bottle of prescription painkillers taking a left over half, taking it dry. I clutched the counter in a death grip as I waited for the pill to kick in, tempted to take another one. I sighed in relief as the pain began to go numb but my mind grew tired once more. "I hate this life." I mumbled as I locked eyes with my pale blue ones in the mirror. They've seen so much pain and disgust and fear that those emotions are permanently scarred in them. In me.
I washed my face before moving to pull on some pure black drawstring Nike sweatpants, a baggy black sweatshirt, fixing the hood over my head before brushing my teeth. I moved back into my room, dumping my blankets back on my bed in an unmade pile. I slipped on my black and white laced vans and pocketed my phone and headphones before shouldering my grey backpack. I made my way downstairs as laughter came from the kitchen.
"Shay, dear? Aren't you going to join us for breakfast?" My mom called out to me as I held back a sigh before stating, "Kia really needs me, her dad is sick. Can I skip for today?" I asked, playing the dad card as my mother immediately looked to Zach for his opinion. "Go on, Shay, your friend needs you." He told me with a cold smile. I knew I'd get punished for skipping family breakfast but I can't let them figure out I sneaked out, again. I slipped outside without another word just as Trevor pulled up. I moved quickly, climbing into the back seat of his car as Kia smiled at me. "Skipping family breakfast, again?" She asked me, jokingly, as I nodded not wanting to think about it. "What's the excuse this week?" Trevor asked with a sweet smile. "Kia needs me, her dad is very sick." I told him, matter of factly as Kia began to laugh her ass off. "Let's go before they question me." I told Trevor, a slight grin on my lips as I looked at my only friends. They're a cute couple.
We finally got to school and I sighed, hating how I'm so much smarter than my friends, wishing they'd be in my classes. "Stay strong, Shay." Trevor stated before he led Kia over to his group a jock friends, leaving me alone. I lowered my head, knowing Dylan will pick me up after school, making me shiver in fear. I quickly made my way inside, hiding behind my hood. I noticed Mason Charming, weird last name, looking over the crowd before his eyes landed on me. He ran his fingers through his perfect brown hair as he made his way over to me. My breath hitches as he stood beside me at my locker. "You're Shay, right?" Mason asked with a confident grin. "Yeah." I mumbled, terrified of what will happen when Dylan finds out. "I need some help on a project and was wondering if you could help me. Mrs. Regmen suggested asking you for help." He stated as his brown eyes watched me closely, scaring me without realizing it. "I guess, I can help." I mumbled, nervously playing with the drawstring of my sweatshirt. "Great. We can start at my place after school." He smiled before jogging off, as my thoughts went to Dylan, fear eating me alive. I quickly pulled out my phone as I made my way through the emptying halls to my first period. I sent a quick text to Mom, hoping she'll explain everything. "Going to be home late. Helping a classmate with his project. Tell Zach and Dylan, please." I typed before hitting send, not wanting to panic over what I wrote. Maybe this is the hope I've been waiting for. Maybe Mason will see my pain and want to be my hero. Maybe I'm finally going to be saved. And maybe, just maybe, I'll get the happy ending I've been waiting forever for.