6 | Ruthless Red

Severus watched with a hardened glare as his students walked out of his classroom, murmuring among themselves about how grumpy their professor was that day when he practically took off points from every houses including Slytherin and he managed to put a few problematic students in detention. As the last student finally walked out and shut the door, Severus let out a sigh, sitting in his chair.

His mind was drifted to you, who he had not seen all day because you had no class with him on that particular day. It was odd, he did not see you when he walked through the hallway, and he was sure that you were not in the Great Hall either. Usually, you would visit him in his class during your free period, just to bug him or to ask him if he needed your help. But nothing of sort happened that day, and he found himself wondering where you might be.

The Potions Master shook his head, trying to get you out of his mind. He was supposed to think of other things but his mind was too busy trying to work out why you had been acting so different now. Perhaps it was not his place to care, but he cared about you a lot, and he despised it so much when he was not aware of what was happening in your life.

Standing up from his chair, Severus told himself not to worry so much when he was just your teacher. You had a life to live as a student, and of course you were not going to spend it with him, thus he believed you must had other things to do instead of accompanying him when you could do things that were more fun than being stuck with your professor.

He decided to walk back to his office, not bothering to wait for you as he knew you were not coming. He would just see you in his class on the next day.

On the other hand, you were avoiding him. You knew what was happening to yourself, and you never wanted him to discover it, not when he would put the blame on himself. He tend to take the blame and let guilt consume himself and you were not letting it happen because of you. So you distanced yourself from him as much as you could, perhaps somehow the distance would heal your pain.

After your last class, you just wanted to go back to your dormitories, curl up in your bed while crying over your cruel fate. As pathetic as it might sound, the idea of being alone while nobody knew about the disease was comforting you. You did not want other people to worry about you, and obviously not Professor Snape. If he knew, he would lose his control and try to heal you, which was something impossible.

But as you were walking back to your dormitories, George and Fred stopped you, huge grins were plastered on their faces as they looked at you.

"Come on, Y/N. It won't be long."

Fred persuaded you to watch their quidditch practice, wanting to spend some time with you. You looked at him with a soft smile, and moved your eyes to look at George who was hoping you would say yes. You crossed your arms against your chest and pretended to be thinking, intentionally making them feel nervous to hear your answer.

"Yes, I'll go with you."

You said, and they fist bump each other, grinning at you. You chewed on your bottom lip, feeling so tired and missing your bed but you did not want to say no to them. The disease would not be stopping you from spending your time with your best friends. You told yourself that you were much stronger than that, not giving up to the pain that was growing in your chest.

"I didn't understand anything in my classes today."

Fred joked, and you shook your head at him, knowing that he was smarter than he always said he was. George and Fred were so intelligent but people always looked at their mischievous demeanours first before their brains. Thus, they always thought between the three of you, you were the brightest.

"Stop bluffing. We all know you will still ace your test, Fred."

Fred just rolled his eyes while George laughed at your remark, nudging you with his elbow playfully.