skating keeps my heart beating

Start from the beginning

Andre's hand rises to his chest, in the familiar way it always has, and I find myself smirking as he kicks his skateboard up, eyes narrowing at me. "Fucking excuse you?"

A cackle breaks through the air. Skyler. They're laughing, hair in blue curls on their head, skin a deep brown, lip gloss a vibrant purple.

"Here's a suggestion, Andre." My grin is challenging. "Try doing an aerial that actually looks like one."

Andre exhales a high-pitched laugh, scowl appearing on his face one he's done, middle finger rising up alongside that. "You're so funny, oh my goodness."

The fact that this banter has been going on since we were fourteen is likely the highlight of the entire skating arena. Fourteen. That was when I'd first discovered this place. In retrospect, you could definitely tell that my parents' relationship was starting its downhill track.

That being said, the first time I'd wound up at this place, I hadn't expected any of that. Hadn't expected it to become my home.

"Here's a suggestion," Skyler says, hand running through cerulean curls. "Best aerial gets gloating privilege and shit until next time. Worst one buys Macky's Burgers for all of us." A wide gesture. 

"Sounds good," a quirk of Johnny's lips. 

"And you," Andre says, taking a few steps up to me as our half-teasing glares burn into each other, "better get fucking ready for me to destroy the fuck outta you." A head tilt to the side. "Any last words?"

I tsk, hand rising to my chest and eyes flashing with mock sympathy. "Only a sentence," I say, smirk rising. "Hope you got enough money for Macky's, babe."

Johnny whistles, and Skyler's familiar cackle rises to the air. 

And so, at ten minutes past five in the fucking morning, the games begin.

Aerials, talking shit, kickflips.

Atmosphere burning with our laughs, and our teases, and our shoves. 

And as I laugh, speeding to catch up with Andre, that sense of peace returns, and despite the fact that I have a whole-ass day of school ahead of me, I feel fucking euphoric.

***

Andre ends up paying for lunch.

Always does. 

Macky's is the only place nearby open this fucking early in the morning, run by a short old lady with warm skin and a warmer grin. The burgers are the epitome of immaculate, and there isn't any of those weird ass breakfast menus that exist in some fast food places.

Andre places his soda on the table, lips pursing. "So..." a grin curving upwards, a mischievous flash in his eyes. "A girl. A girl came over."

Skyler takes a long sip out of their drink, eyes flashing over to Johnny whose knowing grin subtly spreads onto his lips.

I exhale a groan, muddled with a laugh, lowering my burger back onto the plastic plate. "Yes, a girl came over. Crazy shit, am I right? A human being came to the skating rink?"

"Utterly mind-blowing," Skyler chirps, and Andre rolls his eyes at them, their grin only widening in response.

Johnny exhales a silent laugh, and my grin appears at the exchange.

"Is there anything homosexual occurring?" Andre says, eyes widening, hands flying to his curls as faux horror flashes across his face.

"Ha," I say, stirring my drink with my straw. "Said girl has a very straight heterosexual boyfriend, in a very straight, cis, relationship. So, it's safe to assume no."