Chapter 26- What's A Reset?

Writer~San: We hit 2k views today, I'm so excited! I never thought my story would be this popular. My first thought was that everyone would hate it to be honest. Y'all sure proved me wrong. Thanks for those of you staying with me this long (my story has been up for like 2 or 3 years now, it's only now that I actually worked to continue it) and welcome to all the newcomers!
.
.
(~Your POV~)

I hear Chara mumble, "Are you going to eat something?" I must've been daydreaming because it took me off guard. I look up at her, "Yeah! Don't worry about it. I was thinking about something." We're sitting on the living room floor, eating lunch. I finally start to chow down on the food I prepared. It's some leftover taco stuff that Sans kept in the fridge. All I had to do was heat up the taco meat and fix small tacos for me and Chara with some toppings.

Chara takes another bite out of her's and tears up, "I haven't had food in so long." She smiles, "It's so good." I smirk at her, "You can handle the spice?" Chara gleefully nods, "Because it's delicious!"

'Why do I feel so left out?'

Chara finished her tacos pretty quickly, I'm sure she could be just as hungry as Papyrus.

'That reminds me... Something happened between those two.'

As Chara is licking her fingers, I ask, "Chara, you don't have to tell me everything.... but.. What happened between you and Pap? Why were you trapped in there?" Her happy demeanor vanished and she looks down at her hands, "I did bad things. I made lots of promises to Papyrus that I would stop. I would, until I decided to do it again, and again, and again. Papyrus got very angry with me, and clearly had enough of it.. so he trapped me there and hid me away so I wouldn't hurt him again."

"How long have you been in there?" She sits there in silence for a minute, "A few years maybe. I couldn't really tell."

'Years?! That's one heck of a long time out.'

I found it hard to believe that Papyrus was behind this, but Chara seems sincere.

'She's telling the truth..'

Secondly, I've only seen Mutt sorta mad and that got me a slap to the face. Well, it was an accident. I'm very torn over this.

Chara took her turn and asked me a question, "What are you doing here? I've never seen you before. Are you some sort of shape shifting monster?" I laugh, "No I'm Y/N, only a human." Chara tilts her head, "They allow humans to live down here now?" I answer her next question firmly, "Nope."

She's definitely confused now, "Why are you here then?" I take a deep breath, "Long story short... I went hiking, got lost, fell down into this hole, found Mutt, we became friends, and now I live here.... sorta.." "And nobody's tried to kill you? Not even Sans?" I take a bite out of my taco, battling with the spice once again, "That's definitely happened. Sans tortured me for the first few days. There's a freaky monster called Alphys after me. I'm currently recovering from being poisoned." Chara is looking at me with wide eyes, I give her a thumbs up for no good reason.

She asks, "You don't plan on staying down here, do you?" I shake my head, "As nice as it is, it's crazy dangerous. I need to get back home."

I ask her another question, "I've heard you mention resets. Can you explain what they are?" She takes a deep breath, "We're going to be here a while then."

The next hour or two, she spent telling me about her secret power, resetting. Chara explained how she would use it to save monsters using mercy and bring them to the surface. After doing that and living life for a little while, she would reset and the timeline would start over again from the moment she fell, like rewinding a movie.

With each reset, Chara would make new decisions and unlock new paths or information. Eventually though, she explained how things got boring and she was convinced by a "friend" to do things differently. Instead of saving monsters, she would fight and kill them to gather new information. I was shocked, hearing her go on.

'She's a kid! None of this seems possible. Yet I'm saying that while I'm a place where everything of that nature IS possible.'

Chara was definitely getting emotional, "But Papyrus, he remembers the resets. Not at first sometimes, but it always comes back to his mind later on. All that pain and suffering, he had to live it over and over again." She glances up at me, devastated, "He's going to kill me."

I gasp, "DON'T say that! Never ever say something like that! Sure, you say you've done these horrible things but it's fixed, because you reset right? Now you can start fresh and tell Papyrus how you feel. Everyone can forgive."

Chara sniffles, "You don't understand-" I interrupted her, "You're right. I don't understand, just like how I don't understand a single dang thing about this place. I'm still going to try to figure it out! I haven't known Papyrus for long but I already know he's a sweet guy. I'm sure he would give you a second chance if you would only reason with him. Which means, you REALLY have to keep your promise this time."

Chara goes quiet, I already know she's anxious. She's a child, of course she doesn't like the consequences of her actions. All resetting is doing is teaching her that she can run away from her problems.

'Although, the consequences were eventually going to catch up to her.'

I'm definitely learning a lot. My mom always mentioned how determined souls were the strongest but going back in time?! Fixing all your mistakes from day 1? She is under a lot of stress because of it.

'A blessing, also a curse, depending on how you use it.'

Chara yawns, but tries to hide the fact that she's tired by facing away from me. I offer, "You can go upstairs and take a nap if you want. Sans and Papyrus won't be home for another couple hours." "I-I wouldn't want to impose." Chara whimpers. I scoff, "Take my side of the bed. Papyrus won't say nothin' about it. Come on." I easily scoop her up, she panicked a bit. I playfully laugh, "I'm not going to hurt you, chill out." Next, I bring her upstairs and plop her on my side of the mattress. Carefully, I tuck her in to make sure she's comfortable. Chara still looks nervous about it all.

I bend down and sit on the floor, "Would you like me to sit here with you?" Chara pulls the blanket up to her face and silently nods. I smirk and lean my back against the wall. Since it's quiet, I whistle a calming tune, to myself mostly. So I'll have something to do. A few minutes later, I noticed Chara's asleep.

'Oh... welp.. Now I just have to wait here for a while. What the heck am I going to tell Papyrus...?'

Writer~San: It's late, I'm sorryyyyy! I was busy today. It just happens... Well, I'm going to bed so goodnight to me and anyone else that reads this at 12 am. Cya later!!! (•w•)