68; Why'z It So Hard

Start from the beginning

"Tell me one thing about Moon's location and you get to live." I press the weapon harder against this forehead but he doesn't wince in the slightest. Instead, his tight lips twist up into a harassing smirk as he tilts his head. I've known a lot of men like him in my time, stubborn and chauvinistic, but I don't necessarily have the patience to deal with another one today.

"Go to hell, you stupid b-"

The bullet that leaves my weapon does not give him the chance to finish his sentence. Metallic blood splatters across the wall behind him as well as the faces of the two colleagues that are sitting beside him. I hear Kai sigh under his breath while Dario chuckles, crossing his arms over his chest as he watches me take charge of the situation that has been going on for too long.

Before the body of the stubborn mule even falls to the ground, my gun is already pressed against the forehead of the small, frightened man. He looks as though he's in his fifties, his hairline is receding, his eyes are sunken, and his skin is a ghostly pale. If there was ever a time this man was brave it was long before he became shriveled up and cowardly like he is now, so I take the opportunity to target the weaker link.

"Look-" I drag my finger across his cheek, wiping the blood of his tough colleague off of it. He whimpers with fear as his body shakes wildly under the gun. "-If you don't want to end up like your little friend, then I suggest you speak. Moon won't care if you're dead or alive, her operation will still be running. Is this really worth dying over?"

"N-no," he shakes his head rapidly. "I'll talk! I'll talk."

I glance over at his friend who looks just as scared. When he senses my eyes on him, his head nods up and down in a frantic manner. "Me too!"

A grin spreads on my lips as I tuck my sniper back onto the strap on my thigh. When I look back at Kai he has his head tilted in his signature brotherly manner, but I don't find his judgement effecting me anymore. "That wasn't so hard now, was it?"

"Beautiful," Dario praises, throwing his hands up as he nods towards Kai and Valencia. "Both of you take them in two separate rooms and question them. I'll be right there."

Kai does as he's told with a subtle grimace but Valencia grins and fulfills her task happily. When both of them take the people out of the room, Dario takes a step towards me and smiles with appreciation. "I see that I was wrong about you."

"I suppose you were," I pat his chest. His usual judgmental face turns into pure appraisal as his eyes skim me up and down, recognizing me for the threat I really am. Not that his approval is something that I need by any means, but it feels good to be looked at as more than just a burden.

"Tell Apollo we got a lead, will ya?"

"Will do," I call as he walks out of the room. Once it's just Andrés and I, I take a long drag of the bitter tobaccos as I watch him work with rapid intent on his computer. One of his hands type without even looking while the other simultaneously works on clicking through a screen. His eyes are reading through a monitor and I take a beat to admire the effortlessness he seems to be doing everything with. I've never seen someone be able to handle all these tasks with such finesse, especially given the extenuating circumstances of the situation.

"You like what you see?" Andrés speaks up, somehow even being able to feel me looking at him despite the fact that he's busier than a bee.

"I do," I tease as I lean against the wall behind me. The smooth inhale of smoke rolls against my tongue as the slow burn clouds my judgement for a split second. His hair is ruffled as he scratches his beard, the glasses on the bridge of his nose tipping forward just in time for him to push them back with the tip of his fingers. At home, his head is usually always buried in a book so I never actually noticed how ruggedly handsome he is until right now.