19

[Unsaid Emily]

A horn honked.

"This is awesome, you guys," Luke said. "We're playing the Orpheum! I can't even count how many bands have played here and then ended up being huge." He chuckled. "We're gonna be legends. Eat up, boys, 'cause after tonight, everything changes."

Willie sighed and moved to sit next to Alex who was sitting on the Orpheum stage and asked, "Is this seat taken?"

Alex sighed heavily before saying, "This whole thing sucks."

"Yeah, I messed up."

"No, it's like you said... you know you didn't have a choice. I mean, Caleb owns your soul."

"No." He inhaled sharply. "No, still, I know what he's capable of. I brought you guys right to him. When you guys asked me, I should've just skated away."

"I would have still followed you."

Willie chuckled lightly. "Man... I would do anything to take back what I did to you." A jolt buzzed and Alex groaned, causing Willie to wince sympathetically. "I am so sorry. I mean, did you guys figure out what your unfinished business is?"

Alex scoffed. "Not like it's gonna happen. We have to play here."

"The... the Orpheum?"

"Yeah, I mean, we were two hours away from getting on that stage the night we died."

"You guys were gonna be legends."

"We were."

---

An amused smile was on Reyna's face as she watched her friend being bombarded by people asking for pictures.

Max walked up behind Reyna and said, "Hey, um, you were great last night. Listen, I was wondering-"

Reyna held a hand up. "Thanks for that. It was fun, but I'm gonna stop you right there."

"You like someone else, don't you?"

"Yeah. I do."

"Well, whoever he is, he's a lucky guy. We can still be dance partners, right?"

"Of course we can."

He smiled awkwardly. "Bye, Reyna."

"Bye, Max."

Flynn walked up to Reyna. "Don't tell me you rejected Max, too. Julie already rejected Nick."

Reyna shrugged. "Sorry, I can't help who I like."

"Need I remind you, Reggie is dead."

"Yeah, thanks, Flynn. I'm well aware, but I can't help how I feel about him."

"Maybe you should write him a song, like Julie should do for Luke."

"Flynn, I can't write anymore. Not since her song."

Flynn sighed. "Rey, I know it's hard, but-"

"No, you don't. You don't know how hard it's been. I found -- Please drop it. Please."

"How long has it been?"

"Six months," the blonde whispered. "Six months since the worst day of my life."

Flynn silently hugged her friend and said gently, "Come on, let's get to class."

Reyna nodded and followed her friend to class, Flynn's arm around her shoulders.

---

Reggie and Ray were sitting at the kitchen table. Ray had his laptop open.

"Hmm... Wow!" Reggie said. "Ooh, I like this one. It's got a good composition, buddy."