30

The roof of the bus was like a second home now, and you and Clay lay side by side, looking up at the stars together, the sounds of Seattle moving around you. 

This is where it had all started, sort of, during that first night in Miami, when you had come up here with Myra and Nick. Where Clay had first told you about wanting to fall in love. Where you had asked for that first shotgun in an attempt to let him know that you wanted to be that person. Where Chartreuse had come together. 

You smiled to yourself. It was a little silly, that all of those important things had happened on the roof of  a tour bus, but in a way, it had become a rose-tinted liminal space; you would always associate it with those warm feelings that Clay caused in you.

"What are you thinking about?"

You turned to look at Clay, eyes grazing over his face. "The beginning of all this, I guess." You said, reaching down to interlace your fingers together. 

Clay hummed thoughtfully. "Yeah, you were pretty stupid."

You spluttered out a laugh, mockingly offended. "What do you mean?"

Amusement glittered in Clay's eyes (they looked brown now, but you knew what color they were really hiding). "I literally told you that I knew I was going to fall in love with you."

"When?" You exclaimed, rolling onto your side to face him fully. 

"That night that we were talking about writing songs and I told you about how I can look at someone and just know." Clay laughed. "I was literally staring at you the whole time-"

You felt your face heating up and you shifted forward to hide it in Clay's chest. "Well, I'm sorry I was having a hard time believing that someone I really admired would ever even look at me-"

You could feel Clay laugh as he draped an arm around you. "Not to mention that when you asked me how falling in love was going a couple days later, I told you it was going good while looking at you again-"

You groaned, batting against his chest playfully. "You're making me feel like an idiot."

Clay chuckled again. "Keep in mind that I'm just saying things that you actually did."

You huffed, rolling over and away from him, crossing your arms in front of you as you turned your attention to the sky again. "Why do I even like you? You're such an ass-"

You were cut off when Clay sidled up against you, nuzzling his face into the crook of your neck, trailing little kisses down your jaw. "C'mon, I can't be that bad. You wrote a song about me."

"Fine." You said, leaning into the contact. "I guess you're okay."

The conversation trailed off there, and you just watched clouds drift through the sky for a few moments, feeling the comforting weight of Clay at your side. Sure, you had been a little stupid, but you had still gotten here in the end - and that was perfectly fine in your book. You shifted to take his hand again, catching a glimpse of his face as you did. It was pensive - something was on his mind. 

"What about you?" You asked. "What are you thinking about?"

Clay sighed. "We're about halfway through the tour now."

You paused for a moment. "Yeah... I hadn't thought that, but I guess we are."

"When it's over, what will you do?" 

You thought for a moment. "I don't know. Probably go back to looking for a real job, and keep looking for a place to move out from my mom's. I really don't want to go back to working at Starbucks."

Clay smiled. "Have you thought about moving to Miami?"

You shrugged. "Once of twice, but it's kind of expensive for someone just out of college and only working minimum wage. It would be nice to be close to Myra though, since I really only get to see her at holidays now."

"You could always move in with me, if you wanted."  Clay said offhandedly. "I've got an apartment in the city, and there's an open room since Nick pretty much moved in with Myra last spring-"

"Hold on." You said. "One, Myra's been seeing him that long? She didn't tell me! Two, I wouldn't want to be a burden Clay, I really appreciate the offer, but you've only know me for two months, really-"

Clay pouted. "You don't want to move in with me?"

You hesitated - it wasn't that you didn't want to, it was just that moving in was something huge, and as much as you liked Clay, you had only met him a little bit ago. That being said, you had basically been living with him for those two months, and things had been fine.

"I mean, I would love to." You said. "But-"

"Then lets." Clay said, squeezing your hand. "You want to move out, I have an extra room, I would love to get to see you after all of this ends, you would be able to look for jobs in the city without worrying so much about rent... I don't see an issue."

"I guess you're sort of right." You said. "Still-"

"Still nothing." Clay said. "I mean, if you really don't want to that's fine, you don't have to, but I would really like it if you did."

You sighed. "I guess it couldn't hurt, right? I can always move out later if I need to..."

You could feel Clay smiled against the side of your neck, pressing a kiss there. You sighed headily as he pressed his nose against your jaw, ghosting kisses underneath it. One of his hands came to wrap around your stomach, pressing you together entirely. You leaned back into it, closing your eyes as you smiled. 

You lay there in silence for a moment, just listening to the nighttime sounds around you - the gentle bustle of Seattle, the breeze as it passed by overhead. It was a moment before Clay spoke. 

"Hey."

"Hey."

"Guess what?"

"What?"

"I think I love you."

You hummed, your heart fluttering at his confession. "Guess what?"

"What?"

"I think I love you too."