10

Back in the bus after the show, Myra was stripping out of her stage costume and changing into an outfit that you could only call party clothes, pulling her hair back and wiping her face clear of makeup. 

You were sprawled out on your bunk with your phone, adding a few more lines to the little note you had started on the drive that morning. You wanted to write a little more while you could still feel the magic of the concert in you, just for accuracy.

Myra tossed her costume into the hamper and grabbed her shoes, leaning down to tie them. 

You sat up in your bed, looking over at her. "You're going out?"

Myra hummed. "Nick invited me to this little after party thing." She said. "If you want, you can come. I don't know who all is going to be there, but it'll be fun."

You pondered it for a moment - a party could be fun, but you probably would only know Nick and Myra, and you wouldn't want to third wheel. Plus, you were tired from the show - how Myra wasn't completely drained was a mystery, although maybe the stock of Monster energy in the mini fridge was something to do with it. 

"No, that's alright." You said. "You go have fun with your boyfriend."

"Not my boyfriend." Myra said. "We're not like, dating dating. We just kiss sometimes."

You raised an eyebrow, humming skeptically. 

Myra just rolled her eyes. "Whatever. You're sure you don't want to come?"

"You go ahead." You said. "I'm kind of tired anyway."

Myra shrugged. "Alright." She said. "There's food in the fridge, and just call me if you need anything."

"Yup." You said, going back to the notes in your phone. You heard the door open and close as Myra left, and then the bus was quiet, just you. You shifted on your bunk, laying back to hold your phone over your head, reading over what you had written. 

Some of the lines were just snippets of words - buzz, light, sound, power - but other bits were long phrases, just jumbles of your thoughts and feelings. Reading it back, most of it was about Clay - but how could it not be? He was the star of the show, and his voice was magnetic. You couldn't not write about it. 

Your were happy with it though. You didn't really know what it was trying to be, but there was definitely a solid concept there. The lights, the crowd, and Clay in the center of it all, his voice cutting through the air like a sharp blade - piercing.

You closed the note and dropped your phone to your chest, just looking up at the roof of the bus. It was probably the first bit of peace you'd gotten in a few days - what with the Miami show and getting right on the road, and then the show tonight. 

It was going to be like that for the foreseeable future. You didn't hate it - there was a certain energy to the constant motion, that you found appealing - you could see now why people loved traveling so much. But you would have to take your peaceful moments where you could get them - they would be few and far between. 

It was well worth it though - just the first few days had been magical. 

Your eyes wandered down from the ceiling to the window above Myra's bunk, and the sky outside. It was a clear night, and you could see a few stars poking through - like Miami, last night. A bit of fresh night air would be good right about now, you thought. 

Sliding out of bed, you slipped on some shoes and headed to the front of the bus, opening the door and stepping out into the cool night air. You let the door swing shut behind you and breathed in deep, tipping your head back to look up at the sky. 

It turned out it wasn't as clear as it looked from the window - there were a few wisps of cloud in the sky, painted a deep purple like the night sky. You began to walk, just pacing around the parking lot where the buses, meandering. You slipped your hands into your pockets as you walked, just enjoying the sound of the city around you and the night sky. 

You had almost completed a lap around the parking lot when the soft sound of an acoustic guitar floated by your ears, a sharp change from the white noise of the night. You paused, looking for the source of the sound.

Your first thought was the buses, but none of the windows were open on any of them, and the lights were off in two of the three. You looked to the street, but only saw cars going by. You had just brushed it off as your imagination, still thinking about the concert, when you heard it again. 

You scanned the surrounding area for the second time, still finding nothing. It was only when a breeze passed by that you chanced a look up to see a figure laying out on top of the Dream Team's bus, guitar in hand. 

Clay.

He strummed the guitar again, and you walked back towards your bus, listening to him as he changed the riff he was playing. You paused between your bus and his, just listening to him as he played. When he stopped, you made to walk back inside, only to hear his voice.

"What do you think?"

You let go of the door handle, turning back to see Clay peering down from the top of the bus, looking at you. 

"Sounds good." You said honestly. "What are you playing?"

"I don't know yet." He said. "Just kind of fooling around."

A moment of silence passed between you before Clay disappeared back over the edge of the bus. You could still hear him when he spoke to you next though.

"Do you want to come up? Sit for a bit?"

"Sure." You said, going for the ladder around the back of the bus.