14

You didn't end up finishing your plate of pancakes. One, the stack they gave you was absolutely massive. Two, you couldn't, for the life of you, stop overthinking everything you did. It was like the most stressful game of Among Us ever played - one wrong move and everyone at the table would know you had the hots for Clay. Including Clay himself. 

You were most worried about Myra though. She kept giving you this look during the meal, like she was trying to see through your soul. You didn't have to worry too much though, because after breakfast she was hauled straight into concert preparations giving you time to get yourself under control.

And add a few more lines to your running journal, of course. 

That had been hours ago now though, and you had taken your place in the set scaffolding to watch Myra preform. It was nearing the end of her set now, and you could see the sheen of sweat on her brow as she sang, moving in time with the heavy beat of the song. The crowd was eating it up, singing the lyrics back to her as she preformed. 

At the end of the song, Myra death dropped to the ground, panting heavily. The crowd went wild, cheering and screaming as she slowly hauled herself back up to her feet, taking a bow. "Thank you Atlanta!" She called out, taking a pause as the crowd cheered.

Myra began to walk backwards, clearing the middle of the stage and your nerves buzzed, knowing what was coming next. "Now, I'm sure these guys are the reason you're all actually here..." Myra led in as the crowd started up again in anticipation. 

"Give it up!" She called, "For the Dream Team!"

The crowd went absolutely wild as Myra ducked off the stage and flames shot up in the air as the boys were lifted up from the middle of the stage, already starting up their first song. Your eyes found Clay immediately, latching onto the mask he wore. His voice wafted over you, causing the hair on your arms to rise - just as enthralling as the first time. Somehow, the novelty hadn't worn off. 

Down below you, you could see Myra wiping off all the sweat with a towel and handing it back to the crew member that had brought it for her before climbing up the scaffolding and plopping down next to you, leaning against the bars with a tired huff. "Hey." 

"Hey." You returned. "You were great down there. I love the death drop at the end - you should do that more often."

Myra smiled. "Mmm maybe. I'm so tired." She said. "I think I'm getting old, Y/N."

You laughed. "Myra you just turned twenty two in May. You're not that old."

"Feels like it." Myra said, turning to face you slightly. "Hey I had something I wanted to ask you."

Your stomach dropped slightly, but you held your ground. It was probably just something menial. "Yeah?"

"Did something happen between you and Clay?" Myra asked. "He leaned over you at breakfast and you got all tense and looked uncomfortable-"

Your eyes darted back down to the stage, where the boys were still playing. "Hey, look it's Nick's drum solo-"

"Y/N." Myra said, looking you in the eye. "Did he do something? I swear to god, I'll mess him up - I'll get Nick to hold him down so I can kick his teeth in-"

"No, nothing happened." You blurted out. "Please don't beat Clay up. He didn't do anything."

"Then what was that at breakfast?" Myra asked. 

You pursed your lips, rapidly thinking a way around answering that question. "I just wasn't expecting it, and I got startled..." You trailed off, feeling Myra's stare on you, searching through your deepest darkest secrets and coming back out with her prize. 

"You have a crush on Clay." She said matter-of-factly. 

"I have a crush on Clay." You sighed, disappointed that she could see through you so easily. 

You expected her to say more, but Myra just sat back against the bars of the scaffolding again, turning her attention back down onto the stage. Your gaze followed hers to see she was looking at Nick, watching him play the drums. 

"That's it?" You asked. "You're not going to say anything else?"

"Good luck?" Myra said. "I was more concerned that Clay was being a dick to you - you having a crush is a much better alternative."

You laughed. "Good luck?"

"Not that you'll need it." Myra amended. "Clay's easy."

You shook your head with a smile, turning your attention back to the stage, where Clay was still singing, dancing along to the beat of the music. "Thanks, I guess."

"Of course." Myra said, her eyes falling on Nick again. "If he is ever a dick to you though-"

"I know." You said. Not that you would ever need Myra's help. It was hard to imagine Clay being mean to anyone at all - he was like a golden retriever, it was impossible for him to be truly mean. 

The conversation ended there as you both got wrapped up in the show, but it still drifted in the back of your mind as you watched Clay sing. Knowing Myra like you did, it was impressive that she didn't have anything to say about your choice of crushes. Back in high school, every time you had expressed interest in a guy, Myra had had something to say. Her standards were pretty high (which was kind of amusing, seeing that Nick had managed to beat them) and Clay must be pretty good for her to not say anything. 

Not that you would have stopped crushing on him even if he hadn't passed the Myra test. 

Just thinking about the way he had so easy leaned over you this morning made goosebumps rise across your arms, and listening to him sing now wasn't helping either. You resigned yourself to it though - that fluttery feeling that pooled in your stomach was a nice one, and what was summer without summer love?