7

After the show, you made your way back to where the buses were parked with Myra, gushing about the show.

"It was insane." You said, smiling up into the night air. The after-concert feeling was strong - that tingly sense of magic in your fingertips, like anything could happen tonight. You could still feel the echo of the music pumping through you, and Clay's voice as he poured his heart out to the crowd. 

"You keep saying that." Myra said, grinning as you walked along. 

You spun around, throwing your arms wide. "Because it was! And I get to watch that every week for the whole summer!"

Just the thought of experiencing that again was incredible. And that you were going to get to see Clay preform again and again, for free, all summer... it was insane. And it was all thanks to Myra. 

You turned to thank her again only to see Nick - pulling off his bandanna and shaking out his hair - coming up and placing a hand on Myra's hip, tugging her to him. Myra leaned into the touch, smiling up at him. 

"You were great." Nick said, running his free hand through his hair. 

Myra hummed. "So were you." She said.

Nick shoved his bandanna in his pocket with a grin. "I know." He said, jokingly cocky. "Clay and I were going to unwind back at our bus, if you guys wanted to come." His eyes flicked to you for a moment before settling back on Myra. Myra looked to you, a non verbal question. 

"Yeah." You said quickly. "I would love to."

"Great." Nick said, moving the hand that he had on Myra's hip to sling his arm around her shoulders. "Clay's already up there, I think. He pretty much disappeared as soon as we got done on stage, you know how he is."

Nick led the way towards the Dream Team's bus, and you followed along, tracking his and Myra's steps. You watched them as you walked - the way that Myra laughed and smiled as he talked, and how Nick seemed to need some form of contact between them. It was nice to see Myra like this - the last boyfriend she'd had had just been with her because she was sort of famous, and just from the way she looked at him, it was obvious she really liked Nick.

You came to a stop in front of the Dream Team's bus, expecting Nick to open the door. Instead, he walked around the back and started up the little accessibility ladder. You raised an eyebrow at Myra, confused. 

She just shrugged, starting up the ladder as well. "Clay likes to sit on top of stuff. He's kind of like a monkey."

You just laughed, and climbed up after her. 

The roof of the bus was long and flat, and Clay was already sitting on the edge when you climbed up. His mask was tossed aside, and a haze of smoke hovered around his head from the joint in his hand.

"Yo, give." Nick said, sitting down on the roof beside him. Clay passed him the joint and Nick took a long drag, blowing some of the smoke in Myra's face. Myra wrinkled her nose, but then tilted his jaw to properly shotgun the hit, inhaling as Nick exhaled. 

"Do you smoke?"

It took you a second to realize the question was directed at you. Clay was looking at you expectantly, and you shook your head. 

"Do you want to?" He asked.

You hesitated. "Not tonight." You said. "But maybe another time."

Clay smiled, patting the space next to him, gesturing for you to sit down. You did, dangling your legs off the side of the bus and leaning back on your hands to tilt you head up, watching a plane fly by overhead. 

"What'd you think of the show?" Clay asked. 

"It was great." You said honestly. "It's crazy to think that I get to see that every week now... and you guys were incredible. You're so good live."

"Thanks." Clay laughed. "I thought I saw you up in the set scaffolding for a second, but it's a little hard to see with the mask..."

"Yeah, I climbed up there to watch the show." You said. "Which, again, was incredible. You have such a great voice."

Clay leaned backwards, sprawling out to lay on the roof, his eyes flicking up to Myra and Nick who were passionately making out a few feet away. "You're both disgusting." He said with a smile, holding his hand for the joint. 

Myra broke the kiss for a moment to hand the joint to Clay and Nick rolled his eyes. "Jealousy doesn't suit you, Clay." He said. 

Clay just took the joint, taking a hit and blowing the smoke at Nick.

"Where's George?" You asked, suddenly keenly aware of the missing band member. 

Clay sat back up, twirling the joint between his fingers. "Probably asleep." He said. "I told him we would all be hanging out, but shows take a lot out of him. You know, he's so small anyway, not a lot of room to store energy."

You laughed, and Clay took another hit, this time blowing the smoke up into the sky. You watched the cloud disperse into the air, your gaze then catching on the few stars that you could see above the city. The light pollution prevented you from seeing most of them, but a few still managed to poke through, twinkling down at you.

You took a deep breath of the night air, listening to the sounds of the city. This was one of those moments - those times you would think of when you thought about being young and keep a special place in your mind for. You, Myra, Clay and Nick together on the bus roof, in the middle of June, at the beginning of  the adventure of a lifetime - at least for you.

"It's a nice night." Clay noted. 

"Yeah." You said simply. "It is."

He exhaled another puff of smoke into the sky, and you glanced over at him. His eyes looked more brown than green now.