Chapter 5: UNFINISED BUSINESS

Chapter
V
Unfinished Business

***

Wu Xie bent down, thrusting his head between his knees and took several deep breaths while his fingers dug painfully into his knees. "How can we not be alive and not be dead? There is no middle ground, Xiao ge," he said unsurprised when the panic gripping painfully at his heart colored his words, making them rushed and breathy. "Are we in comas then?"

"En." Zhang Qi Ling nodded and at the same time shook his head. "We shouldn't be the only ones. People fall into comas every day."

Wu Xie forced himself to calm down and make sense of what was happening. Take control somehow. "Okay, so, what does that leave us?"

They sat in silence for a moment watching the cars and the people. Wu Xie sighed and rubbed his face with his hands before leaning back, his elbows on the stair behind him. He considered all the examples he had heard of... or rather, seen in movies. "Alright, how do you feel about unfinished business?"

Zhang Qi Ling turned and his expression softened, not anything nice, but not harsh either. Wu Xie watched as the man considered his words. "En." The tone was flat but Wu Xie knew from how Zhang Qi Ling's eyes darkened slightly that he had considered it. Something in the back of Wu Xie's mind needled at him, demanding to know how he was able to read this man, this stranger.

"We can't leave and fix it." Zhang Qi Ling softly whispered.

Wu Xie nodded, his thought forgotten. "True, but maybe it is simply about recognizing the business and letting it go. So, what didn't you get done?"

Zhang Qi Ling turned away from him and looked out at the street. Wu Xie followed his example and was surprised when he realized how relaxed he felt. He decided that the feeling came from finally being able to do something about his situation. He turned when a movement caught his eye and he saw Zhang Qi Ling fingers drumming on the stairs. Suddenly Wu Xie was stricken with just how handsome Zhang Qi Ling was. Wu Xie looked at his profile against a brilliant blue sky. His skin and ink black hair contrasted beautifully while his tall frame filled out his clothes perfectly. And then pinkish lips opened to speak and the rich tone of Zhang Qi Ling's voice fell over him like fog.

Wu Xie's breathing increased and he shook his head, fighting off a feeling of déjà vu and the beginning stirrings low in his stomach that brushed his pearly white cheeks a soft pink.

"Wu Xie," Zhang Qi Ling said, cutting through his foggy mind, "What's wrong?"

Wu Xie blinked wide and dangerously serious eyes as he stared at the dark-haired man and asked, "Xiao ge, have I met you before?"

Zhang Qi Ling's shoulders tensed at the look and he stared, thin-lipped, in silence for a moment before shaking his head and answering the question just above a whisper. "No, Wu Xie, I'm sure I would have remembered... you."

The blush deepened and Wu Xie chuckled, bringing his hand to rub the back of his head and the tension broke.

"So, we were talking about unfinished business," Wu Xie began and Zhang Qi Ling shook his head.

"Yes and I answered the question while you were mentally catatonic."

Wu Xie's cheeks burned. Stupid blush. "Right, well, obviously I was distracted bu..." One sinfully black eyebrow rose over a sharp midnight gaze and lips threatened to tip up silently saying Zhang Qi Ling was aware of the 'distraction'. "... The situation, you Men You Ping! So, answer it again."