Chapter 1

Optimus's spark pounded in his audio receptors, drowning out all other sounds besides his labored vents as he crashed through the undergrowth. He couldn't stop. He had to get away. His joints screamed in protest, seeming to grow weaker with each step. But he had to keep going. There was no going back. Not when the only things awaiting him were a permanent cell and a pair of stasis cuffs.

"Come on, Optimus! I just wanna help you!" Jazz called, struggling to keep pace with the Prime through the forest. He wasn't trying as hard as he could, mostly because he didn't want to hurt Optimus. "Slow down!"

"No!" Optimus growled, pushing himself to go faster. He knew Jazz was holding back because if he wasn't, he would've been caught already. "I'm not going back!"

"It was just a misunderstandin'! I promise we won't throw ya in the slammer!"

Optimus shook his head. Jazz was lying, he had to be. Sentinel probably brainwashed him or something.

Jazz grit his denta together. He had to think of something, anything! "Sorry if this hurts.." He muttered as he whipped out his nun-chucks and flung them at Optimus's head. He then quickly pinned the Prime to the ground so he couldn't wriggle free. "Optimus, you gotta listen to me!"

Optimus struggled in Jazz's grip, though his weakened joints failed to give him much leverage. "Why should I listen to you? You're one of them! You work for Sentinel!"

"Yeah well.. Sentinel is an egotistical lunatic. I only take orders from Magnus." Jazz huffed. He pressed his servos down on Optimus's shoulders. "Listen, all I'm tryin' to do is warn you about what Sentinel is plannin'."

Optimus ceased his struggles for a moment. "What's he up to now?" He asked.

Jazz pursed his dermas and took a quick glance around before continuing. "He's tryin' to convince Magnus that you're a traitor because you've spoken out against the Guard in the past. If he manages to convince him, your whole team is gonna be at risk."

"Why? All we've done is serve the Autobots!"

"I know, but he's been wantin' to get back at you ever since Elita went offline. You gotta lay low for the next coupla days. Please. It's for your own safety."

Optimus stared at Jazz's visor. He couldn't believe this was happening. "Why are you helping me?"

Jazz climbed off of Optimus with a sigh. "Because it's the right thing to do, and because I care. Sentinel's corrupted, and I'm afraid a lotta other members are corrupted too." His head perked up when he heard someone crashing through the undergrowth nearby. They were close. "Scrap, Sentinel's comin'. Quick, punch me in the mouth or somethin' so it looks like we got in a fight!"

Optimus rose to his pedes. After a moment's hesitation, he socked Jazz on the jaw with a right hook. He immediately felt bad for doing it.

Jazz held his jaw, a bit of energon trickling out of his mouth. "Go! Don't worry 'bout me!"

"Tell him I put up a fight, he'll be more likely to believe it." Optimus said, turning to run. Before he left, though, he glanced back over his shoulder at Jazz. "Thanks, Jazz."

Jazz cracked a grin. "No problem, Prime. Now get outta here!"

Optimus nodded and darted off into the undergrowth, just in time too. Right after he disappeared, Sentinel came charging through the bushes with his lance and shield drawn.

"Where is he? Did you get him?" Sentinel questioned Jazz with a slight scowl.

Jazz pulled his servo away from his mouth, examining the little spots of energon on his digits. "Nah. He put up a real good fight, I couldn't pin 'im."

"Well which way did he go?" Sentinel huffed, eager to continue the chase.

Jazz only shrugged. "I dunno, Sentinel. He hit me pretty hard, I was too dazed to really tell exactly where he darted off to. Coulda been that way... or was it that way?" He was having a little too much fun lying to Sentinel, though he hid it well.

Sentinel growled in frustration and put his weapons away. "There's no way he hit you that hard. You're just being dramatic." He scrutinized Jazz, checking to see if anything was actually wrong with him. Eventually, he had enough of Jazz's ramblings and waved his servo to shut him up. "Okay, I've heard enough! You obviously don't know your left from your right. Damn you, Optimus... Come on Jazz, return to the ship so we can get your systems re-calibrated." He grumbled under his breath, stalking off into the undergrowth.

Jazz smirked and wiped the energon from his mouth. "You sure put on a good show, Jazzy old boy." He chuckled to himself, following behind Sentinel.