TWENTY-ONE

TWENTY-ONE

Natalia

- 10:03 pm -

I dressed in a pair of black leggings, black zip up sweatshirt and pulled my hair into a tight low pony. There isn't a black beanie in here, so I just finish the look with a pair of black sneakers. After a breath of courage I look out the window for the last time. My door is locked, if it wasn't I certainly wouldn't be jumping out the window. I open the door with shaky hands and swing one of my legs outside so I am sitting on the edge of the window.

There is usually only one guard on the other side of the house. I don't understand why my father doesn't put security here. Not many people like him so he'll need all the security he can get. Just as I am about the jump, the door swings open. Terrified it's my father I jump.

"What-!" It's Omar.

I fell into the bushes on my back and the plant cushioned my fall ever so slightly. When I get up I hunch my back over, but continue to jog around back to the garage. When I get to the front of the house Omar is waiting for me in the car. He rolls the window down and flashes me a smirk. "Get in."

"Are you kidding me?!" I whisper-scream. I get into the car and we pull out of the mansion and I don't look back. "Why didn't you tell me before that you were going to help me?! If you did I wouldn't have had to jump out the window!" I shout.

"Yea, sorry about that." He chuckles. "I didn't know if I was going to help you or not to be honest." He states.

"You should be- my back hurts." I chuckle. "No, but thank you for helping me out- you are helping me out right? You're not telling on me, right?" I chuckle nervously.

"No, I'm not telling on you, Natalia." He states with his eyes on the road. "I didn't know the situation you were in and It was wrong for you father not caring, so I guess you need some help." Ouch.

"Well thanks. Do you have a plan?" I ask.

"Do you have a plan?!" He questions with a panicked voice. I shake my head. It probably would have been a good idea to make one up. "Why don't you have a plan?!"

"I didn't even think I'd make it out of the house! You can't blame me!" I counter.

"Uh- yes I can!" He argues.

"Fine! Fine! We can't make a plan if we argue." I state.

We make a plan: Omar will sneak me into the back of the building as he goes in the front. He tells me where to go and how to find Grant. And like always, my father probably doesn't have enough security so I should be okay. But if I'm not, the only thing I could do is either run, or act as though I am supposed to be there. Omar is pretty positive so he says that we will be fine, and we'll be able to get out alive, and painlessly. But me after going through what I have gone through, I know what can happen during stuff like this. So it's hard for me to even consider the positive side right now.

"Do you know what time they are planning on... killing Grant?" I question.

Omar doesn't look at me. "Somewhere between midnight and two in the morning." He states.

We have some time. We should be okay. Look at that, positivity. Maybe it'll stay awhile.

- 11:32 pm -

Finally we arrive at my father's building. Omar drives to the back and before I get out of the car he grabs my wrist holding me back. I shoot him a questioning look. We need to move fast for this plan to work.

"Here." He hands me a silver gun. I stare down at the piece of metal in my hand. It's shiny and beautiful. I've never held a gun before- let alone fire one. This will be the last resort. "Be careful, go." He says pushing me away.